question

thanar avatar image
thanar asked

VE.smart - connected SmartSolars don’t enter Float

Have there been any changes in SmartSolars’ charging algorithms lately? I have a small system with two SmartSolars connected through VE.smart and it’s been a couple of days now that they stay in bulk mode for hours and hours, even though maximum absorption time is set to 30min.

I will be uploading a few VRM screenshots later.

img-1148.jpeg

img-1149.jpeg

battery chargingMPPT SmartSolarVE.Smart Network
img-1149.jpeg (247.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I can't answer the question, but I'm curious. Have you tried fixed vs. adaptive, and are all controllers set identically?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thanar avatar image thanar commented ·
The controllers are set identically and the algorithm has been working as expected up until the latest update. I have now erased the existing VE.smart network and set up a new one. Will update the thread with any news.
0 Likes 0 ·
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

I can't answer your question either but looking at max absorption time of only 30 minutes seems very short. If you have one, what does the battery manufacture's manual recommend for Bulk, Abs, and Float times? As an example the manufacturer for my batteries say max times for Bulk: 14 hours, Abs: 8 hours, and Float: No time limit.

What I'm getting at is perhaps the MPPT's programming is incorrect for your particular batteries causing the controller to eventually not perform as expected? Don't know. Just a thought.

2 comments
2 |3000

thanar avatar image thanar commented ·
I am using custom Lithium batteries, so I’ve set the values to my liking. Lithium batteries need no absorption time, I only left it there for a bit more balancing to take place.

The algorithm was working fine up until the latest update. I have now erased the VE.smart network and set it up anew and will see if this will fix the issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler thanar commented ·

Lithium batteries need no absorption time

The above is not true as an unqualified statement. Lower absorption voltage require longer absorption times. Here is evidence of a battery that attained 99.7% SoC @13.6V, but it needed about 5 hours of absorption time:

1711310678427.png

0.2C charge to 3.4V/cell with 0.02C cut off.

I will agree that charging to 3.65V will need very little absorption time - 15 minutes tops, and that varies based on your C rate.

0 Likes 0 ·
1711310678427.png (132.4 KiB)