question

John Dent avatar image
John Dent asked

Venus OS 3.30 — Peak shaving for ESS with current transformer?

Reading the 3.30 blog, it says "ESS systems without an energy meter [...] This includes systems using our AC current sensors that plug directly into the inverter/charger". (The link is to a 40A version, but I presume the same applies to the Current Transformer for MultiPlus-II, https://www.victronenergy.com/meters-and-sensors/current-transformer-for-multiplus-ii.)

Great stuff to see DESS nearing completion, which is presumably what this release is leading up to. I am eagerly awaiting the 30 minute UK version!

But ...

Is there something deeper to read in to how CTs are treated differently to Energy Meters?

Must admit that, when I was speccing my system, the info on CTs vs EMs was pretty thin and not too clear. But in the end I came to the conclusion that CTs worked just fine over short distances, and were cheaper, whereas EMs were more flexible, supported long distances, and also had other features like having displays, supporting 3-phase, etc..

Was my conclusion wrong or perhaps missing some important detail?

I wish now that I'd asked the question earlier!

ESSVenus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
John Dent avatar image
John Dent answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.