question

mman444 avatar image
mman444 asked

MultiPlus Compact 12/2000/80-30 230V inverting but not charging

My MultiPlus Compact 12/2000/80-30 230V has stopped charging after several years of normal operation.

Symptoms: when in "on" mode, green light is on and there is 230V to consumers whether shore power is on or off, but no charging voltage to battery when shore power is connected. When in "charger only" mode and shore power connected, yellow light is off and no charging voltage to battery. The red alarm LED (the one inside on the PCB, not the one on the front panel) seems to be faintly lit as soon as shore power is connected.

Others have posted about a thermal circuit breaker mentioned in the manual; like them I can't see any breaker to reset. The large ceramic fuse to the top R of the box is OK. I also disconnected the temperature sensor (manual describes as optional) but no change. Voltages: battery 12.4V shore power 244V.

Question: is there a thermal breaker, and if so where is it? If not, what else could this be?

Thanks in advance

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@mman444 Looking at old manuals (2019) the circuit breaker is listed as D in appendix A.

mp-2k-ap-a.png

mp-2k-ap-a1.png

mp-2k-ap-b.png

Newer hardware revisions may be different, report back.

mp-2k-ap-a.png (85.9 KiB)
mp-2k-ap-a1.png (79.1 KiB)
mp-2k-ap-b.png (55.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mman444 avatar image
mman444 answered ·

Thanks @klim8skeptic! This is what I have (below) and I really can't see anything corresponding to item D in Appendix A. There is a ceramic fuse (white with a red stripe) which I've checked and it's OK. But thanks for sharing Appendix B, it looks to me that the same effect could happen if the backfeed safety relay, item G in App B, is not closing. What does this relay do? And, er, where is it?

Really appreciate the support.

20240317-180028.jpg

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic