question

edvanz avatar image
edvanz asked

Solar panel wiring to Mppt

I would like to know if there is any advantage when installing 3 panels in parallel and parallel them at the MPPT versus parallel them at the panels and bring down only 2 wires instead of 6. I'm not looking for cost advantage just for technical advantage/dis-advantage. Both setups of course done with the appropriate cable size.

Solar Panelsystem design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Edvan. There's no difference either way.

In bigger systems wiring technicalities may impinge. Eg MC4 plugs are max 6mm2 wire and 30Amps rated, and often then a combiner box may be installed close to the panels with individual string fusing, etc.

For just 3 panels, the 2into1 MC4 adaptors are handy, but may cost more than running separate wires the full distance.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

edvanz avatar image edvanz commented ·

Thanks for your answer

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

From a technical standpoint, the best would be to run wiresfor each panel and parallel them at the MPPT.
This offers the least electrical resistance. For more than two panels in parallel I would like to have a fuse or circuit breaker for each string.

1 comment
2 |3000

edvanz avatar image edvanz commented ·

Thanks for your answer

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic