question

garymwysh avatar image
garymwysh asked

MPPT 100-30 not working on battery power only.

Very quick question. My MPPT 100-30 isn't charging my battery. I am pretty new to solar as this came with my new 5th wheel. When the battery is connected to the MPPT and the PV cells are disconnected should any of the LED's be illuminated and should the app be able to communicate with the MPPT. Everything seems to be connected correctly; I got battery voltage at the terminals, correct polarity, same for the PV cells. The only time the MPPT seems to function is when the PV cells are connected but it doesn't charge. It's a hassle to take the trailer to the dealer and they claim the fact that it drops the app connection when I disconnect the PV cells isn't a problem. I think the MPPT is faulty and I was hoping for some backup when I do take it in. Thanks in advance.

MPPT Controllers
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Garymwysh Are you sure you have a SmartSolar mppt, and not a BlueSolar mppt?

Only the SmartSolar mppt's have bluetooth.

The manual gives the led codes. If powered by battery alone, the blue led will blink once every 3 seconds indicating battery power, but no PV power.

1 Like 1 ·
1 Answer
garymwysh avatar image
garymwysh answered ·

Definitely Smart solar. Note PV cells off. Battery is on and no LED. Obviously have to take my word it's not blinking.

solar-system-1.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the app.

app-screen-shot-2.png

Bulk charge for 12.6 V? 0.00A for bulk charge?

Something doesn't seem right. Suspecting a faulty controller.

solar-system-1.jpg (106.6 KiB)
app-screen-shot-2.png (152.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@Garymwysh If you are confident that the mppt has battery power and the blue led does not blink, contact your supplier for further advice / replacement.
2 Likes 2 ·