question

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird asked

Conditions for Quattro in "Sustain" mode

Today I noticed a Quattro 24/5000/120-2x100 with firmware Version 508 entering sustain mode. I checked and the Sustain mode is not enabled on the Advanced page of the Configure 3 setup. This system does not have solar or wind. It is a simple marine system where all charging comes from engine alternator or generator or shore power.

I was under the impression that sustain mode only was initiated in ESS systems or when enabled on the advanced page of the Quattro using configure 3.

Have I missed something here or is it possible v508 has a slight bug?

Many thanks,

Trevor

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargersustain
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Trevor Bird

What battery do you have?

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Hello @Alexandra , The Batteries are 24V Fusion Pulse batteries with internal BMS.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Trevor Bird commented ·
Are the batteries on (BMS not shut down in protection)?

0 Likes 0 ·
@Alexandra the system is working however I noticed about 3 times the VRM indicator for the Quattro state had it enter sustain for a short period. I was surprised as the Quattro does not have sustain enabled at all. I am wondering if the system can now go into sustain mode without being requested to operate with sustain mode. That seems like a problem to me as sometimes we may not want the system to ever go into sustain mode for any reason.
0 Likes 0 ·
Third reason is two signal BMS assistant. Which is what I thought but you don't have batteries that need it

I am trying it out on my system to see if I can do the same. Have been running 508 with wind solar since it was released. But will disable it.

0 Likes 0 ·
The system I am referring to does we think have a problem with battery supply to the Quattro. We are working on that as it appears we have an intermittent relativeley high resistance between Quattro and Batteries sometimes.

Putting that aside, I am curious that I have witnessed the system enter Sustain mode when I have no need for sustain mode and have not asked sustain mode to be enabled. This is only after (probably foolishly) upgrading the software to a later version (V508) for our client. In retrospect I probably should have not touched the software and left it at the earlier version.

It seems possible that under certain circumstances, even without sustain mode being enabled, sustain mode can in fact be entered with this firmware revision. I am not sure of that but at this stage from my experience the evidence suggests that could be so. Certainly not a big deal but worth noting and may be relevant with regard to charging batteries in the minimal possible time.

0 Likes 0 ·

Well it alerted you to a problem, so really it did its job.

The DC side to the battery has an issue. May not have been what is perceived as the conventional way.

Sustain is when the DC side is trying to maintain a battery voltage because of X circumstances. It is still part of the charge programming regardless of how it is being manipulated (ESS or Solar/wind)

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You're positive the assistant isn't installed, even if not in use?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·

@nickdb yes I am positive the assistant is not installed. No assitants are installed.

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird Trevor Bird commented ·

screenshot-2024-03-14-at-102902am.png

The VRM indicates sustain for a short period.

0 Likes 0 ·