question

charley avatar image
charley asked

Victron MultiPlus 12/1600/70

Hello, the above unit has been fitted on our boat for in excess of ten years without problems, as we are never far from a shore power supply we tend to use it in charger only mode with a remote panel,

However recently we have noticed that when we plug in an appliance which only requires a small amperage, the charger will sometimes switch off &the blue mains light on, on the panel will flash,if we switch the unit off using the remote panel & wait a few moments, the charger restarts, quickly going down from bulk to float, it is never the same appliance, or the same socket outlet & does not always happen, could you give us some assistance as to where the problem could be ?

Our fear is that one day the unit will fail to reset it's self & leave us without a battery charger.

Regards

Multiplus-II
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

charley avatar image charley commented ·

I've just found some slight damage on the neutral cable of the AC out plug, would this cause the problems we have been experiencing ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ charley commented ·

Probably not, but fix it anyway.

Silly question, but what is the current limit on the digital multi device set to?

Also do you have a BMS connected or any 'assistants' that could disable the charger?

0 Likes 0 ·
charley avatar image charley Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Mark, current set to 16amp, always careful not to exceed this ! no BMS or anything else fitted,

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
charley avatar image
charley answered ·

Batteries are 8 years old, seem okay, could they be causing a problem ,?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

8 years is well over the life expectancy of any batteries I'm aware of (though Battle Born does currently offer a limited 8-year warranty); good for you for treating your bank well enough to make it that long! As with any battery, however, the total capacity of the battery diminishes over time and with use, so it's very likely that your battery bank no longer has enough current throughput available to fully compensate for the inrush demand when you plug in your appliance... it definitely sounds like you're getting a significant voltage drop in that first millisecond when your load turns on, which -if the drop is significant enough- would cause your Multi to throw an error and/or reset itself.

Besides fixing the slight damage on the neutral of the AC out as you mentioned above, I'd definitely look to replacing your battery bank; there's a very good chance that'll fix your problem. All that being said, of course there's a possibility that the Multi is finally on its last legs, but my own experience with Victron components leads me to suspect literally every other component in a system before I suspect the Victron.

Good luck!

2 |3000

charley avatar image
charley answered ·

Right, I have now had a visit from a Victron Engineer, as you would expect everything was working okay ! He suggested that the battery's could be the problem as they're eight years old, we have now fitted two new 170 ah. Victron super AGM batteries, still having the same shut down problem as described in my original post, have now taken off the blk & red temperature sensor lead and all seems to be working fine, could it be a faulty sensor ?

2 |3000