question

jeromep avatar image
jeromep asked

Does the Multiplus II 48/3000 have the same features already built in as the Victron Lynx Shunt?

Does the Multiplus II 48/3000 have the same features already built in as the Victron Lynx Shunt?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Multiplus measurements are not very accurate.

You don't say if the batteries are lithium or lead chemistry. Many BMS SOC measurements are voltage based and inaccurate.

Assuming you have a GX device in the system, a smart shunt would be cheaper and give more than the Lynx shunt

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Delta Victor avatar image
Delta Victor answered ·

As far as i know there is some current measuring of whats going in and out of the multiplus. If not using other dc components or chargers(like an mppt) the multiplus is able to measure your battery, as most Victron products are also designed to run on their own.

It depends on your setup and type of battery to know if a shunt is necessary, handy or unnecessary. For most bms controlled lithium banks the bms will do the current measuring for you. On a lead battery i advise some sort of battery monitor so you can analyse the state of the battery, although it will work fine with only the voltage sense cable connected.

2 |3000

jeromep avatar image
jeromep answered ·

Thank you, that helps.

Perhaps the shunt can be one less component in building my system bringing the cost down.

I'll be using SOK 48/100Ah batteries.

2 |3000