question

hemaris avatar image
hemaris asked

Multiplus overload fault - a component failure?

I have an off-grid system at my summer home with Easysolar containing MultiPlus 24/3000/70-50. My system was installed on 2017 and has been working flawlessly until a week ago. Now it is showing steady overload error (red led). The fault started when I returned to my summer home after winter break. Last time it worked normally was on late October, but the fault started immediately when I turned it on last week. There was no AC load, and the batteries were fully charged. Red overload led is active on both with "charger and inverter" and "inverter only" positions.

Tried so far:

- Resetting from CCGX console, or by cycling power from main switch, or by disconnecting battery

- Updating firmware to the lastest version (now 2610508)

- Checking/tightening all the wiring inside/outside unit

- Disconnecting all external circuits from the circuit breaker

Unfortunately nothing seems to restore the inverter functions. Multi is visible in CCGX system and I can connect to it VictronConncet or VEconfig. MPPT charger works normally.

Are there anything else I should try? To me this looks like component failure.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
hemaris avatar image
hemaris answered ·

This turned out to be a component failure. I shipped the unit to Victron service provider and their diagnosis was that the entire power module in the MultiPlus needs to be replaced. They are now waiting for the replacement module to arrive and hopefully I will have a functional unit soon.

Edit: Power module was replaced and the system is again working.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

when the inverter is on and before the overload light comes on whats the battery voltage, measured at the battery bolts ON THE INVERTER..

suspect that the batteries can no longer supply the required amps.

turn ALL ac loads off ie turn all ac out breakers OFF or disconect all wires from AC 1 out

and turn inverter on and see how you go from there

1 comment
2 |3000

hemaris avatar image hemaris commented ·

I already described in my original post that I did not have any AC loads when I turned on the inverter. All the AC instrumets have been plugged off for the winter. Just to rule out a remote possibility that I would have a load connected somewhere. I disconnected all of my AC circuits from the main circuit breaker (which is itself inside the Easysolar chassis), plus also all the seconday circuit breakers on Easysolar. To rule out a further potential problem in the main circuit breaker switch, I also disconnected AC output wires inside Multiplus that lead to the main circuit breaker. There is absolutely no possibility of having any AC load in my system.

None of these helps. As soon as I turn on Inverter or only charger, the red overload led lights up. At the same time my batteries (24V, 465Ah, Rolls lead acid batteries) are at 100% and I can use DC systems normally.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

How old are the batteries? Did they go flat over winter?

What can happen is that old batteries look fully charged from voltage, but drop very quickly with even a small load. What battery voltage is the CCGX showing when the overload light is on?

If you can check/test with different batteries. Otherwise it's a toss up between batteries and a faulty multiplus,

3 comments
2 |3000

hemaris avatar image hemaris commented ·

Hmm... I have not considered this possibility and I am not sure if it would explain why I see the overload light comes up also when the Multiplus is on "charger only" mode.

Batteries are 6 years old, but should be in good shape. These have not been never been discharged below 70% level. The only active overwinter component in my system was the BMV-712 meter which showed 96% charge level after the winter. This is the usual value that I have seen on previous years. As the winter temperature is mostly below 0 oC, the self discharge should be minimal and I always leave the batteries fully charged on fall. Normally I would equalize the batteries immediately after the winter to ensure accurate charge level readings. This has not yet been possible due to cloudiness.

It is difficult to check the battery issue as as I would need a substantial load to do it, requiring inverter use. I also have a parallel DC system with a DC fridge, lights and similar small loads up to 150W. At least this does not seem to be an issue for the batteries. The voltage levels stay steady 24.5V when solar chargers are inactive. Also, if I turn on the inverter, it does not affect the battery voltage readings.

I feel that the batteries may not be the issue here, but it is still good to keep this in mind, so thanks for this suggestion! I am still hoping that there would be another explanation than component failure.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ hemaris commented ·
Guessing it's not that easy, but I think a discussion with your dealer is the best way forward. They will probably need the unit for testing.

It's probably worth taking the cover off first to check visually for damage from animals/insects.

0 Likes 0 ·
hemaris avatar image hemaris kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Agree, I am currently looking for a local distributor who would be offering Victron service in my area. I also opened the unit overs already earlier just to see if there is anything obvious like animals getting into the system as you suggested. There was nothing obvious but it is still a possibility behind the circuit boards.
0 Likes 0 ·