question

Hannes Swart avatar image
Hannes Swart asked

Victron reading overvoltage

I have an off-grid system running 3 x 5kva Victron quatros, a freedom one battery 2 x mppt.s and a 30 kva generator.

My question is that when the battery goes down to 25% the generator kicks in automatically and is then supposed to run the house and charge the battery, the problem I'm having is that the inverter reads the input on line 1 as over 250v and therefore doesn't charge the battery.

I have put in a new voltage regulator on the generator but still have this issue, any suggestions.

voltage
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart commented ·

photo-2024-03-07-08-03-54-002.jpgImageThis is whats happening Caption

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
delf67 avatar image
delf67 answered ·

Have you put a meter on L1-N on the generator out? Is it really 285V?

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I have not done that so will check tomorrow, but surely the av regulator should sort that?
0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image delf67 Hannes Swart commented ·
The most logical reason for a Quattro to report 285V on the AC in is that it really is. It is worth checking that before trying to troubleshoot a Quattro problem that might not be there. It's possible the new regulator is faulty, so best to eliminate that first.
0 Likes 0 ·
The voltage was tested and is 234V output, the system now gave me a Phase Rotation warning and shut off?
0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image delf67 Hannes Swart commented ·
So you have replaced the L1 Quattro with your spare and run the VE.bus system configurator? When do you get the Phase Rotation warning, when you power the Quattros on or when you run the generator?
0 Likes 0 ·
Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart delf67 commented ·
Replaced the inverter and all seems good at the moment. The phase error was before replacing the inverter so will see if that fixed the problem
0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

It's possible that the Quatros's "voltmeter" to not properly filter the generator's AC harmonics and therefore to also take them in a small measure into account. Hence the increased voltage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Tested the v coming from the generator, all fine, so will have to replace the inverter. Luckily I bought a spare
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic