question

robmller avatar image
robmller asked

Max watts for a MPPT 250/70

I’ve read all the documentation and think I understand, but to make sure, is there a max wattage that can be connected to a MPPT 250/70 in a 12v battery system?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

2 rules NOT to break: Don't exceed the max input voltage (250) with your module open circuit voltage (Corrected for lowest temperature), and don't exceed the maximum Isc permitted by the controller. Apart from that, you will max out the controller at Iout (70A) X Battery Voltage (13.8 in a 12v system) - in this case 966W. You can connect more input power, this will give you more output on a cloudy day, and at the beginning and end of the day. typical would be 10 - 20% extra power, so with a 12v system and a 70A controller, a realistic max would be 1200W.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robmller avatar image robmller commented ·

Thanx. I have four 320 watt panels, which yields 1280 watts if maxed out, which is probably rare. Will the additonal 80 watts (1280 - 1200) be an issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ robmller commented ·
No. The Victron online calculator uses 30% over panelling. Guys living in low sun areas regularly high a high excess PV to provide adequate power in winter.
0 Likes 0 ·