question

240vplug avatar image
240vplug asked

SCC010010000 - With Lithium Battery

Flooded Lead Acid battery recently failed on our Travel Trailer. We currently have a Victron SCC010010000 solar charge controller installed which came with the unit. In looking at the instructions PDF I only see SLA, AGM, and Flooded as options for this controller.

The new battery is a 12v LiFePO4 Battery with the following specs. Its a popular Redodo Amazon model in group 24 size with 100ah. It does have a built-in BMS but no low temp protection. My question is can I use this existing controller or should I replace it with one that specifically support Lithium batteries? I am thinking the BMS should prevent overcharge but need some advice.

As a side note, I would also like to add a smart shunt so that I can track the power draw from the batteries via app.

Thanks in advance.

smart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @240vplug

That's a 10 Amp PWM controller. PWM perhaps not so inherently suited to Li batts, which tend to benefit from finer and more stable control. Now that you've modernised your battery, might be a good time to step up to mppt.

Whether you stay with 10A is up to you, but that battery probably has more usable capacity than you may be used to, and can handle faster charge. Depends on your panel(s), but you could step up in size too and then have the option of adding more panel later.

The Smart model would be good, and even networkable to a Smartshunt. If low batt Temp is an issue for you, the optional T sensor on the shunt might be handy.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15,-100-20_48V-EN.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

240vplug avatar image
240vplug answered ·

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the battery recommends a 20amp or 50 amp. Currently we only have a single 100w panel feeding the system. I am going to look into the MPPT charge controller and smart shunt. We typically don't use the rig during the coldest winter months. I plan to remove the battery when we winterize and keep in in our garage over winter.

They do make a model with a more advanced BMS that provides low temp protection and has a power off switch to disconnect all loads. I didn't go with that one because I was having difficulty finding a battery box for it. The rig came with a group 24.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic