question

bobhof avatar image
bobhof asked

MPPT load output - turn on when solar is active?

Hi All. Is it possible to activate the load output only when the solar input is providing power?

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolar
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
@bobhof I dont have a mppt with load output so i'll let someone else comment if there's a native solution.

if not, if you've got a gx device you could program this with a relay and node red.
1 Like 1 ·
bobhof avatar image bobhof matt1309 commented ·
Thanks. I'm not very clued up with these things. I'll look into Node Red.
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 bobhof commented ·
If it's supported natively go that route.

If not you would have a node red flow that checks solar coming in is greater than whatever value you want and if so turn on relay.

Only thing to watch out for is when youre in absorption/float as you could have 0 solar coming in but really it's available. So i would setup node red to work like this:

(if solar > x or in absorption/ or float){

// turn on relay

}

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@bobhof

You could maybe manipulate the streetlight function and do an inverse set up, however it will use your battery a bit when it is out of peak.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bobhof avatar image
bobhof answered ·

Thanks for you advice @Alexandra and @matt1309. I must confess that I am a fool. I'm trying to power a small 12V fan to keep the MPPT cool when it is running but the obvious thing is to connect the fan directly to the solar input.

2 |3000