question

gtingstad avatar image
gtingstad asked

Charging a multi-bank series system from a single MPPT

I have a set of 12V, 400AH LiFePO4 ABS batteries connected in series to produce a 24V system. I am charging the system with a MPPT 100 | 50 from a set of 48V panels which can provide up to 900W. The BMS is configured correctly for the voltage of two of these batteries in series. Unfortunately, the battery system is not charging, and I suspect it is due to the BMS' on the batteries.

I would like to implement a dual-bank system fed from the MPPT. I could install two MPPTs, but I would prefer to collect one set of measurements for the whole system, so am looking at installing two DC-DC converters (or 12V-12V chargers), wiring up the isolated chargers to each battery, and setting the MPPT to charge in 12V Li mode.

Just wondering if there are any clean "Victron" solutions to achieve this. I'm looking at using a set of Orion isolated 12V-12V converters. Would a second MPPT be more advisable?

smart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
furyjk98 avatar image
furyjk98 answered ·

Please check with the manufacturer if you can connect those LiFePO4 batteries in series. Most of the time, the series connection is not allowed for these batteries due to the safety features of the BMS.

However, you can run a 48V solar panel, if the VOC of the panels does not exceed 100V of the charge controller. You can calculate that from Victron's MPPT calculator portal.

If you are thinking of connecting those two in series, then individually charge them as a 12V battery bank. I have no idea what is going to happen in this situation. Maybe it's best to leave it for Rick and Morty to do. Although I am curious to find out if anyone has experimented it and wants to share their experience.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gtingstad avatar image
gtingstad answered ·

The manufacturer states the following:

Series or parallel connection When connecting batteries in series or parallel, make sure that each battery is within 500 mV (0.5 V). It is recommended to fully charge the batteries individually once a year to avoid imbalance. When charging Volthium batteries in series, it is best to use a multi-bank charger which charges each battery individually to ensure that the cells remain balanced.

In principle, I see this only being an issue if the charger shares a common ground. If each ground is isolated, I don't believe there will be an issue provided the charger works as intended. My main concern is that the MPPT will be choosing its output based on the voltage it sees at its charge output. Adding additional transformers downstream for charging batteries may cause issues if the batteries are not balanced, since the charge voltage will be fixed.

2 |3000

furyjk98 avatar image
furyjk98 answered ·

If series connections are allowed, you can use a Battery Balancer from Victron to balance individual batteries to keep it under the specified deviation, while the MPPT you have will charge both batteries connected in series at 24V.

Also, you can try reducing the charge Amps in the MPPT's Battery settings and start with 5 Amps of charging, and see if it does not trip the BMS to turn the battery off.

If it's still not charging, check the Voltage of the battery banks, and see if they are not above the Bulk Charging voltage of the charger. As the MPPT thinks it is fully charged and does not harvest any power.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic