question

Julian T avatar image
Julian T asked

QUATTRO FREQUENCY ACTIVATED SWITCH UK

Hi - We have just installed a Quattro 48/10000 230v with input from a FIMER PV Inverter. The Quattro PV Assistant controls the inverter output via frequency changing and its great! When there is an excess of power available it would be good to switch on other loads in the home such as heaters etc. Are there any recommendations for UK switches/plugs which can be set to the work with the Victron frequency change? Many thanks for any help.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Julian Thursz

You can use victron assistants to activate relays on inverters based on certain criteria. However i find the assistants only have a limited number of criteria and you'd also need to have the loads nearby to connect to the relays.

I achieve what you're describing using shelly smart switches (relatively affordable and dont require accounts/cloud connections if you dont want them to) and the node red to handle the on off criteria.

Node red does the logic for "turn on"/"turn off" the loads. And the loads are connected to the shelly smart switches. The shelly smart switches can be turned on an off via the http node in node red. And you dont even need to connect the shelly devices to the cloud as long as they're on the same wifi as your gx device.

Using node red means you can get really specific with your criteria or even use multiple shelly smart switches for example:

If excess power but excess power < 1000w turn on a shelly smart switch thats connected to a smaller load

if excess power > 2000w turn on shelly smart switch connected to larger load

You could even do:

if(excess power but after 4pm)

dont turn on

Just have to make sure the loads not exceed max rating of shelly but most are 13-16amps so usually fine for the normal loads people want to turn on like an immersion heater.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Julian T avatar image Julian T commented ·
Sounds ideal and I have ordered some to try. Many thanks to @matt1309
1 Like 1 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 Julian T commented ·
I think i've got some node red stuff saved to do this for an immersion heater controlled by one so shout if you need a hand, happy to share.
0 Likes 0 ·