question

Steve Mullins avatar image
Steve Mullins asked

Pass Through mode on Multiplus

Can someone show me how to enable โ€œpass-throughโ€ mode on my Multiplus 12/3000/120. I donโ€™tsee the settings in the Victron Connect app with the demo and Iโ€™ve seen in other posts where folks refer to the pass through mode which allows the AC shore power to be passed through directly to the AC output.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Steve Mullins avatar image
Steve Mullins answered ยท

I think I answered my own question. When the Multiplus is set to โ€œCharge onlyโ€ this is what some call pass through mode. Is this correct? So the inverter will never turn on, and only AC power is available as long as shore power is live?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

smiddyh avatar image
smiddyh answered ยท

Hi Steven - I've only had my Multiplus's installed for a week now so definitely not an expert. However, I did run across the "Passthrough" mode today. If you change your charger settings to disable (ie: not charging your battery) within the VE Bus System Configurator program you will enter passthrough mode. This will allow AC to passthrough without charging your battery. If you have a CCGX you will see it say Passthrough on the Victron icon (tried to attach pic, but issues uploading). From here you can still select to have inverters running in case you exceed AC input or you can choose charge only (ie: no inverting, no charge but AC passthrough since you have charging turned off).

Attached is a pic for your reference. I had to turn off my charger as the BMS on my battery is tripping due to reaching max charge. I thought I had my settings all dialed in, but obviously not so my temporary fix while on our current trip (to keep the wife and little ones happy) is to turn off the charging function until I need to charge.

If anyone knows a way to manually turn charging off without going into VE Bus System Configurator please do share!

2 |3000

marietjie-pelser avatar image
marietjie-pelser answered ยท

Steve, under what setting do I get the "Charge only"? I think I accidently set my system on that and it is now stuck on Passthrough, and I need to get it back in working state again

2 |3000

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ยท

You always have to have the Multiplus powered on the have the AC pass through because there is a built in transfer switch in the Multiplus.

2 |3000

Matt Digan avatar image
Matt Digan answered ยท

Charger only mode does exactly that; it only charges the batteries and doesn't allow for AC passthrough or inverting. When you go to Inverter on and you're hooked up to shore power it uses the built-in transfer switch to pass the AC shore power through to your connected outlets, bypassing the inverter part altogether. Excess amperage is used to charge the batteries. That is unless you have the Power Assist turned on. If you exceed the limit of your shore power then the inverter will kick in and use power from the batteries to make up the difference.

The transfer switch is automatic; it kicks in whenever shore power is connected or disconnected

1 comment
2 |3000

teddysx3 avatar image teddysx3 commented ยท
So you are saying in inverter mode, all shore power ac current is passed through from ac in to ac out's WITHOUT having to pull inverted power from the battery bank, even though on the cerbo and victron connect app it says "Inverting"?
0 Likes 0 ยท