question

andrew-w avatar image
andrew-w asked

Direct connection to immersion.

I have reached my limit on grid tied solar but want to implement more solar by using off grid applications. I have quite a high and consistent usage of hot water so would like to implement a pre heater tank to feed my existing boilers with hot or warm water. What are my options for connecting a solar array to an immersion directly, via an MPPT? Many thanks!

MPPT ControllersHot Water Diversion
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
atebee avatar image
atebee answered ·

Lots of options. What is your setup in terms of inverter, batteries, solar?

Also a bit more detail on your existing hot water setup would help.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andrew-w avatar image andrew-w commented ·
Thank you. I have a grid tied system that is fully utilised, I want to add more but can't get permission from my network. So I want a stand alone, off grid, system to pre heat water to supply an existing boiler. The boiler is 500 litre and part of an important installation and I don't want to interfere with it at all. So I want to add a new cylinder with an immersion connected to an off grid array to feed the existing boiler with hot or warm water. Thanks again!
0 Likes 0 ·
atebee avatar image atebee andrew-w commented ·
A solar thermal setup might be a better option than PV in this case.

With a battery and suitably sized inverter you could intermittently dump power into an immersion element based on some simple logic i.e. if the battery is 90% full then turn on the load until say your down to 10%. That can probably be done via an assistant on a Multiplus/Quattro. Or Node-Red automation on a CerboGX.

An air to water heat pump would be a more energy efficient solution to heat your tank but more costly. Air to water in a DWH scenario is COP of ~3 so you would be getting 3kWH hot water from 1kWH PV. A small unit would also draw less power than an immersion element. Only issue is the compressors have quite high startup loads which might not work well with a small inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
andrew-w avatar image andrew-w atebee commented ·
Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·
Considering the fact that the immersion element is just a resistive load and don't cares if it's powered on AC or DC, can't you try to experiment and connect the PV string - correctly sized for the heater element's voltage - directly onto the heater element?

No loss in conversions, storage, etc... Of course not always the ideal maximum power point either, but who cares, you only heat water... :-))

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual