question

heypete avatar image
heypete asked

Feature request: prompt before allowing “always off” when connected remotely

Hi all,

I have a small off-grid DC-only setup with an MPPT SmartSolar 75/15, a Raspberry Pi running Venus for remote access over VRM, some batteries, and several small DC loads.

Today when remotely fiddling around with settings via VRM (I know, I know…) I accidentally switched the Load Output Operation Mode mode to “always off”. This, as described in the manual, immediately turned off the load which included the Pi, making it impossible to remotely turn it back on again.

Fortunately it was only a mild inconvenience to physically got to the controller and re-enable the load output via Bluetooth, and there were no consequences to my mistake.

Still, it’d be nice if there was an option to require an “Are you sure?” prompt when selecting “always off” (at least the first time, which could include a “don’t warn me again” option) either in all cases or only when connecting via VRM, or some option to disable the “always off” option when connecting via VRM to prevent or at least reduce this risk in the future.

MPPT SmartSolarfeature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Oops!

Is there a reason you don't power it directly from batteries, as would usually be the case with a Cerbo?

Different problem, but it is similar, when people decide to power it via AC on an inverter output you can really get stuck, so there is actually a note about that.

In my experience, when someone is prompted "are you sure" they generally are sure, until they suddenly aren't :)

Anyway, it never hurts to ask and at least you could resolve it quickly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

heypete avatar image
heypete answered ·

@nickdb There's a few reasons: it's a small setup with small(ish) batteries (20Ah capacity). Typical loads are small, virtually always less than 0.5 amps, so this capacity is enough for a few days even with no sunlight. Connecting directly to the batteries would eliminate the usefulness of the "BatteryLife" option turning off loads when the batteries get low and not include the load of the Pi from the load output current/power measurements in the dashboard; a smart shunt would be nice, but costs more than the whole setup. I'm using LiFePo4 batteries and, although they have a built-in BMS, I prefer to avoid relying it for low-voltage cutoff.

Also, it simplifies the wiring for me: the batteries are connected to the MPPT controller via fused wires. The solar panels are connected to the MPPT controller. A small external fusebox is connected to the load terminals of the MPPT controller, and the loads fed off of that. Since there's no inverters and loads are very small, feeding the Pi or other loads directly off of the batteries would add complexity and require a bunch of re-wiring.

> In my experience, when someone is prompted "are you sure" they generally are sure, until they suddenly aren't :)

I feel that in my bones.

Even so, having a prompt at least makes it slightly harder to shoot myself in the foot so easily.

In my case, the footgunning was minor and easily resolved, but I can see how it could be much more of a hassle for people with more mission-critical needs or systems less accessible than their shed.

2 |3000

Related Resources

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes