question

simk avatar image
simk asked

Orion Smart and remote control with BMS and engine switch

Hi

I have Orion Smart DC DC (non-isolated) installed to charge the LiFePo4 battery bank with alternator. Per user manual, I have connected REC BMS charge enable to pin H, and engine switch to pin L. Everything works fine, until both signals are at 0V. I would anticipate Orion shuts down when both pin H and L are at 0V but this is not the case. The issue is, when engine is OFF and BMS stops charging, Orion is active and drawing current from engine battery. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

When L and H are bridged, the Orion is ON.

I suspect that when both signals are at 0V, both are doing this by grounding to the chassis, thus bridging the inputs and switching the Orion on.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

simk avatar image simk commented ·
It is a fibreglass boat installation, but yes, negative is common so I guess this is the case.
0 Likes 0 ·
petaramesh avatar image
petaramesh answered ·

Also you may not need to use an engine switch at all on the Orion Smart, only the BMS, and let Orion's engine run detection do it for you.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic