question

cybermaus avatar image
cybermaus asked

Smart IP22 Charger 3 outputs

What exactly do the 3 outputs of the Blue Smart IP22 Charger (3) do?

Are they merely 3-separate clamps to the same output coild? Are they separate output coils, but sharing a single charger cycle intelligence? Are they a separate, low power, non configurable, charger for the starter? (but then why two of them)

I do know that the demo device in the android app does not show any related readout values or settings. Just one voltage readout, just one amp-hour setting, just one amp setting.

And to be fair, for only €15 extra price, I would not expect more, but if only extra clamps, what is at all the function of the extra outputs? Victron makes them, they must have a proper use case.

I did find one older discussion thread with graph, but frankly if no per-battery logic and analysis, I am not sure that has much value over just hooking them up parallel.

Best I can think of, it is like a build in bank separation diode, and the diode voltage drop automatically ensures current goes to the lowest level battery

Edit: found this helpful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnvkyBSBT6E

bluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

It's easy to find out.

Ground (GND), usually is the same.

Take a multimeter and measure the resistance between positive (+) outputs.

If it's zero (0) ohms, then they are the same internal output. If not, they are different coils or maybe they are separated with diodes, like you said.

But I have the feeling they are the same output...

Also, you can read this: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/138036/blue-smart-ip22-12v-30a-3-outputs.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cybermaus avatar image
cybermaus answered ·

Can't measure, I do not have the device (yet) considering buying so am checking the differences between models. And there seems to be little info that I can find. Even the link you provide (I had found that before) seems to be more people asking questions and hypothezing than stating known fact.

So let me add to that: I think I am pretty sure by now:

- Only one logical output, only one charge cycle logic, only one voltage readout.
- Shared ground, but diode (more likely FET) separate outputs.

Slightly less sure, but still relatively sure:

- One coil, capable of 30 Amps
- Meaning each output can be individually 30 Amps, or all together can be 30 Amps

This means I could hook up the starter battery, *if* it is the same chemistry and I want to be also charged with 30Amps if needed. But it should never be needed, the starter should never be that empty. Then again, it is only €15 extra, so why not have the option.

Additionally, it probably means I could use one of the additional (the 3rd) output as a "is charging" 12V indicator, which would by nice, because my camper computer/display expects such a indicator from my current charger. (it would mean the "charging" status indicator on the LCD comes on, which is of course mission critical /s)

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It is ONE charger with 3 outputs.
The outputs are isolated to each other.
The max. output current is 1x30A not 3x30A.

2 |3000