question

william avatar image
william asked

A question about neutral-earth bonding

A question about neutral-earth bonding for a Multiplus 24/3000/70-16 off-grid system, with Sunny Boy 2500HF-30 solar inverter and generator backup. In the UK.

I have recently taken over this installation which was originally installed (in 2015) with a N-E bond in the consumer unit (elsewhere named breaker panel, distribution board etc), even though the Multiplus has an internal N-E bond when there is no AC input. When AC input is present (in our system from a generator), the Multiplus N-E bond is opened and the system uses the N-E bond at the generator. The bond in the CU was later removed (probably around 2019), not by the original installer and not by me.

My understanding is that there should not be a N-E bond in the consumer unit when the Multiplus (or our generator) has it. I have asked the original installer why the N-E bond in the CU was made, the reply was 'I don’t think the sunny Boy will work without it as it shows a PE fault'. Well, the Sunny Boy doesn't show a PE fault and it works fine.

Thanks for reading this far, here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience of a PE fault using Sunny Boy inverters?

2. Are there any circumstances where a CU should have a N-E bond in this kind of installation?

connection issue
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Multiple N/E bonds create earth loops. You must only have one active. Having one in the consumer unit will give a ground loop at times.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

If memory serves me correctly here in Canada (and likely the US as well) only one earth ground is allowed. My gasoline powered inverter generator for example has a floating neutral. If an earth ground is made to the generator the RVs own Electrical Management System will block the power supply from the generator or a faulty electrical outlet until the generator's earth ground is removed. Having said all that I would play it safe and contact a local electrician and ask them

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic