question

lotsrockets avatar image
lotsrockets asked

syncing shunt SOC with float on charger controller

when is the best time to set the SOC on the shunt to 100%?

is it as soon as solar charge controller shows float, but also 200-300watts flowing in.

or will the watts eventually taper off closer to zero ?

what should i be looking for on the charge controller before i synchronize?

float
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

The best way I found is to disconnect the battery from whatever it's connected to then fully charge the battery with a battery charger then let it rest for 12 hours or so to allow the surface charge to dissipate. At that point you can then set the SoC to 100%.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lotsrockets avatar image lotsrockets commented ·

ok so the solar charge controller doesnt count as a charger?

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·

You do not state what battery type (lead or lithium) or voltage or capacity so your 200-300W value on its own does not mean anything. Also, going into float on your Solar controller depends on how well set up it is. Provide a few details and we can advise.

For 12V lead acid charged by solar when the voltage is above approx 14.2V and the current is less than 2% of the battery capacity you can consider them fully charged. The 2% means for a 100Ah battery, the current is below 2A. Lithium are slightly different, but similarly, when the voltage is close to absorption voltage and perhaps current less than 4% is the default but others may have better views.

0 Likes 0 ·
lotsrockets avatar image lotsrockets commented ·

sorry its a lithium battery. i set up the parameters in the 100/50 controller based on 2 underlined lines below as suggested by the manufacturer:

Charging Charging Limit Voltage: 14.2V

Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 14.6V

Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage: 13.8V

Float Charging Voltage: 13.8V

Discharging Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 11.6V

Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage: 12.4V

Under Voltage Warning Voltage: 12.8V

0 Likes 0 ·
lotsrockets avatar image
lotsrockets answered ·

right now for example, its showing float, PV 33.2 V, 5.2A, 172 watts ; battery 13.8V, 11.9 A

2 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·

You still need to let us know the battery capacity. That does not sound like it should be in float yet unless it is a large bank. Can you share some screenshots of your SmartShunt settings and your solar controller settings if it is a Victron solar controller.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ pwfarnell commented ·
@lotsrockets

Is this the first charge for the batteries?

Your shunt should automatically sync if the settings are right.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic