question

alex-channell avatar image
alex-channell asked

Split phase output with Quattro-II 2x120V, with shore and generator

Input: I can do either 120V or 240V, 120V a requirement 240V is not but would be nice. Shore, solar, generator inputs

Output: 120/240V, 240 is to run heat pump.

Can I run 2 quattros in split phase on battery power? (manual and wiring diagrams don't seem to show this). The quattro internal switches seem like this could cause an issue.

I see one option would be quattro-II into autotransformer but would like to increase my inverter output capability as a bonus with 2 of the quattro-iis

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

The 2x120V is a unit dedicated to automatically handle single and split phase shore into a 50A RV.

It is a 120V inverter. Period.

When fed with 120V shore, it passes through 120V to both legs - like a 30-50A adapter does, L1 shorted to L2. Can powerassist L1/L2.

When fed with 120/240V shore, it passes through 120V to L1 loads and charges with it. It passes through L2 to L2 loads. It can only power assist on L1.

When inverting, it shorts L1 to L2 and provides 120V single phase to each leg.

They can be added in parallel OR three phase, but their nature of operation can't change.

The standard Quatro or Mutiplus can be configured to operate in split phase.

According to the manual, the only way to use these in split phase is with an Autotransformer:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Quattro-II_12-24V_3kVA_2x_120V/en/configuration.html#UUID-9cd13f9c-7924-90a1-c0ca-43ab335d038d

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alex-channell avatar image
alex-channell answered ·

While it does specify the autotransformer is an option for split phase, I don't see it saying stacked inverter split phase is not possible with the quattro? If that is the case and I need more power than a single quattro II, is is possible to double them up?

Or is there another option for a switch box to swap inputs and use multiplus?

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

For the Quattro-II 2x120, split phase is not listed as an option, and an autotransformer is mentioned for split phase.

For all NON- 2x120 units, split phase parallel operation is mentioned as an option and an autotransformer is not.

Can you double up two 2x120 in single phase? Yes.

I'd reach out to your dealer for clarification.

2 |3000