question

loujohng avatar image
loujohng asked

Best setup for external 12v A/C using Truck 24v system?

Hi to everyone. Any help appreciated.

@Michelle Konzack

I'm trying to build a system for my truck which did not come with an air condition unit. The truck has a 24v 90 amp alternator. The AC unit that I have uses 12v; the compressor can draw up to 70 amps. I am trying to get the best setup possible in order to accomplish this.

I have an Orion Smart Charger 24/12 20 amps, and a DC to DC Converter (Higher Power) 24/12 70 amps. I'm exploring the two setups based on the images below. Any suggestions on how I can make this setup better is appreciated.

I am considering getting another converter. I assume this would produce 140 amps possibly and I wouldn't necessarily need that much. Lastly fuses would be installed near sources/inputs.

Setup 1

powersetup-singlec-2.jpg

Setup 2

powersetup-dualc-2.jpg

Setup 3

powersetup-dualc-no-charger.jpg

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Couple of comments

Charge rate to aircon system is very low, max only 20A. You'll need to run the engine for about 3 times as long as the aircon runs.

Likely that the batteries for aircon are undersized for such a large continuous load. You need to check battery specs, but unless they're lithium, you'll get nowhere near the rated capacity due to the high current. Heat will be another issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
loujohng avatar image loujohng kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Truly appreciated. I had to edit the image. I'm using LifePO4 Lithium batteries to power the AC unit.
0 Likes 0 ·
loujohng avatar image loujohng kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Can you say what is the best charge rate for 12v 100ah batteries? Anyone?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ loujohng commented ·
Varies. You have to check the manufacturer's specs.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers