question

ktouart avatar image
ktouart asked

EVC in auto mode not start charging properly

Hello community, this is both a rant from a frustrated owner of an EVC 300400300 and a feature request to solve the issue in general.

The EVC in "auto" mode (charge following p.v. production) often does not start even if there is largely p.v. power available in a zero-injection to the grid setup.

To be more specific, my setup is a MultiPlus II GX 5kW with an AC-coupled Fronius Primo, I do not know if the issue is specific due to some limits of Fronius API to estimate the available p.v. or generic, but since estimate the potential p.v. production is anyway "non much precise" the feature request is an auto-mode extra button "force start" that start charging when the user press it, at the minimum amps set and see what happen, if after a certain amount of time the p.v. is not sufficient it stop actual auto mode do, else keep going as actual auto mode do.

Aside four settings/extras:

• an option to define the amount of time to wait for sufficient p.v. before stop the charge, so far it's hard-coded, in previous fw version was 4-5' now it seems around 25', IMVHO there is no reason to hard code a value instead of allowing the user to choose how many minutes inside a timeframe limits (let's say no less than 1' no more than 2h)
  • a new auto+manual mode, meaning charge at the maximum power you can from p.v. but if p.v. does not suffice use the grid at a user chosen amps rate. Visually this mean a slider with a minimum amps eventually grabbed from the grid, while the auto mode choose to give more if enough p.v. is available
  • in current auto mode a checkbox "allow balancing from grid" meaning if the vehicle charge at a given rate and star sucking less power than the minimum amps set (meaning it's balancing the battery) keep giving power even if p.v. production does not suffice anymore to allow finishing the balancing
  • finally a "insist offering charge to the vehicle" setting since with various EV I've tried when the EVC offer charge, start charging, stop because of insufficient p.v., restart offering because there is enough p.v. again the connected EV refuse charging falsely report on the EVC "charged" since carmakers do not even consider the option that some owner charge from p.v. so a very intermittent power source. Insisting is safe anyway because it's just an offer to charge, the real charge start only if the connected EV allow it. From my experience this happen at the II tentative when the charge is "intermittent"

I suspect such features are not there because the EVC userbase is too little and those who have designed the EVC at Victron do not own them one in the first place or at least they do not use it integrated with domestic p.v... Such features or at least allowing to craft them via MQTT/ModBUS though some external tools like HA/OpenHAB would be a godsend for those who have EVC and p.v. and working from home or being retired or having more than one EV can actually charge from p.v. at home.

Thanks for reading me :-)

evcs
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

What is the firmware version running on your EVCS?

0 Likes 0 ·
ktouart avatar image ktouart Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Sorry for the big delay, I thought there will be email advise for replys...

currently v1.26/4.3

SN: HQ22369F3PK if you need it

0 Likes 0 ·

Can you update to 1.27 and test again?

0 Likes 0 ·
ktouart avatar image ktouart Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Done yesterday, tested today so far seems to start charging correctly, I'll keep an eye for the subsequent days especially when it's a bit cloudy. Thanks for the tips for now!
1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
Tomáš Závodný avatar image
Tomáš Závodný answered ·

I have similar problem.

I have VW e-Golf which has 2 phase charger, so with EV charger lowest charge is at 6A about 2760 W.

Victron EV charger in Auto mode automatically starts scharging, when there is at least about 1380W, but this assume only 1 phase charging. When charging starts, Car wants at least 2760W, so this is insufficient.. Please see video, which describes problem.

Maybe sollution would be if I could configure in EV charger usage 1,2 or 3 phase charger, so it would wait for minimum 1380, 2760 or 4140. Or it could do some autodetection when charging strarts.

Another ask, why minimum EV Charger support is 6A? my car supports minimum 5A, so there is more chance to charge correctly at lower AMP.. Is it hardcoded to EVCS?

Maybe @Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) could know more?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi,

the device can't switch only one phase, there is one 40A/3 phase contactor inside that switches all 3 phases.

But what you can do is to disconnect 1 phase from the EVCS, and it will charge only single phase. Or you can install a breaker on that phase and use it only when you want to charge faster.

The protocol for charging says that minimum current is 6A, I don't know if or how your vehicle can charge with 5A

0 Likes 0 ·
robinschrooten avatar image
robinschrooten answered ·

Hi,

I have a hybrid car, that only charges on 2 phases (you can even buy a single-phase type2 cable for 1-phase charging). This is a limitation of the inverter installed in the car...
When in auto mode, the charging current is set to 17A, and not changeable. There is an excess of 4200W, but the charging does not start. Is it waiting here to get 17A excessive curren available??

When I manually start the charging on the minimum level (6A), it is using about 2500w, so the excess of 4200W would have been more than enough to start the charging...

2024-03-25-11-51-42-charging-station.png

2024-03-25-11-51-14-charging-station.png

3 comments
2 |3000

There is no PV on your installation, that's why it is not starting. There are 3 conditions for the Automatic charging to start - pv production, no battery consumption, no grid consumption.
0 Likes 0 ·
robinschrooten avatar image robinschrooten Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Why the pv consumption? If you have no battery consumption and no grid consumption, the excessive energy (negative grid) must come from pv production...

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ robinschrooten commented ·
It must be, but it's not visible as PV production. It can also be an error from bad installation. You probably have PVinverter? What brand? If it's not supported, add a meter and define it as PV Inverter.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic