question

captkirk avatar image
captkirk asked

Optimal PV voltage for the MPPT 100/30

Looking at the specification data sheet for the MPPT 100/30, it states a maximum efficiency of 98%.

I was wonder at what PV input voltage this is at? I have two 20V solar panels and was wondering if I should put them in parallel or series? Paralled would only provide ~18V peak, while the series connection would do ~36V peak. Was thinking if they were in series the solar charge would wake up and charge earlier and go to sleep later versus the parallel configuration. But if I am sacraficing efficiency at the higher voltage perhaps in th end -- all is equal?

Thanks!

MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Most of us would wire in series. 18V peak won't start charging a 12V AGM if it is close to float voltage. Series also has the advantage of lower current to the MPPT, reducing losses between panels and MPPT. If there's a long run, these losses add up.

But sorry, no idea on efficiency.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

captkirk avatar image
captkirk answered ·

There is a short distance (6 feet) between PV's and solar controller so the wire expence will be minimal if I need to go with larger. Mainly wondering if higher voltages supplied to the solar controller and convertered at less efficiency? Read that you should check with the manuafatcurer and supply close to the optimal volatge to the controller (assuming that the wire runs are not a big factor). Did not see anything in the online documentation for the Smart Solar 100/30 controller.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic