question

Dj avatar image
Dj asked

Ess setting

Good day

Is there a way we can run full solar capacity to the battery without splitting it with the loads.

Let’s say battery is drained to 25% and I want to charge battery fully with solar and not let the loads use some of my solar. If you put soc higher then battery then it starts to use grid to charge batteries which I also don’t want.Panels must supply directly to battery and when battery is full I want the solar then to supply loads. Or help the grid to supply loads.

Let me know if it is possible to do so please. Asking for a client …

Thanks

solaress settings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

The basic philosophy of the ESS algorithm is to "try" and supply the loads first.
If you have a parallel ESS system and you have DC coupled PV then you can force the battery to be charged only by PV if you switch the Inverter OFF.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dominikmp avatar image
dominikmp answered ·

if I set up a sheduled charging, with configured chargelimit lower than battery minimum soc, the system will charge the battery from aviable solar and blocks the discharge of the battery. The configured chargelimit prevents also charging from the grid e.g. with a MultiPlus II.

1 comment
2 |3000

Dj avatar image Dj commented ·
The pv is still pushing loads though… the customer saw some kind of non Victron system that all its solar goes to battery and wants Victron to do the same, I have tried to explain that Victron system solar is designed to run loads first and then charge batteries, still he wants to find a way to do so (pushing full pv capacity to battery and not loads)
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Have you tried setting the multi's switch to "charger only"?

This can be done via the soft switch on the remote console or via node red automation.

This is not what ESS is designed for.

If that doesn't yield the desired result you could also get creative and use node red to slowly raise the ESS min soc so that it remains in the zone where PV is dedicated to the battery and mains services loads.

2 |3000

trantoriana avatar image
trantoriana answered ·

Not quite what you want as ess will still prioritize your loads is to dynamically raise the ess min soc each time you have loaded a percent soc of the battery.

This will anchor whatever you loaded in the battery for later use..

You can do what you want but with ess that would be a mode 3 diy ess. This is not easy as the sun does not always shine the same, it can fluctuatie quite a lot and that requires playing with the grid point.. not an easy task. By prioritizing your battery you also take on the losses also.

You may be better use raising the min soc when loading from pv.

T.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic