question

Warren Parkinson avatar image
Warren Parkinson asked

Multiplus 12/1600/70 second dc charge (started battery) question

I have a Multiplus 12/1600/70 and am going to connect the second DC trickle charge outlet to my start battery. When the Multiplus is in Inverter or Charge mode I have 13.8 volts at the second DC output which is what I expected but with the Multiplus turned off I have the same voltage as my leisure batteries, if I isolate my leisure batteries the voltage drops to zero.

Does this mean that my started battery will drain my leisure batteries ? If so I will install a switch on the second DC feed to the started battery so at night time while parked up with no solar or grid power I can turn off the DC trickle charge from the Multiplus.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Warren Parkinson

The trickle charge is a direct connection to your leisure batts. It is limited by Amps, but if you don't want anything then you could switch it with Assistants based on (say) Leisure Battery V. The trickle would be wired through the onboard programmed relay.

How you do this may depend on what model Multi it is, so needs checking. The advantage is you don't have to install an external switch or remember to flick it.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Warren Parkinson avatar image Warren Parkinson commented ·

Thank You John, I will look into this, My multi is a 12/1600/70, I will buy a "Victron Energy Interface MK3-USB" so that I can program the Multi.

I was watching a video on Youtube and it said that I need a code from a Victron dealer to unlock the Multi ? Does anyone know what the code is or is it different depending on the serial number ? Here is a link to the video I watched.

How to configure a Victron MultiPlus with VictronConnect using an MK3-USB adapter (youtube.com)

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Warren Parkinson commented ·
@Warren Parkinson

That video is by our own Community Manager, Guy Stewart. Smooth talker, hey.. :)

I missed the mention of a code, but don't worry yet. Unfortunately VictronConnect hasn't yet graduated to handling Assistants so you'll need to use VEConfigure. The MK3 adaptor a worthwhile acquisition for this sort of tinkering.

0 Likes 0 ·
Warren Parkinson avatar image
Warren Parkinson answered ·

Thank you for this very useful information John,

My power system I have built also has a Cerbo GX which is now up and running but the Touch display does not show the power coming from the grid when mains power is plugged in, it does show the Inverter flowing power to the system but nothing from the red box on the top left in the display, its not really a problem but I would like it to work.

I have a Youtube channel with my van build on, I would appreciate it if you would have a look and give me your thoughts on my system, any advice as I am still building my van. I will put a link to my channel in this message, I have some playlists on my channel, the latest van build is on playlist

"Building Munromobile the second" here is the link (14) Building MunroMobile the second - YouTube

Thank you from Warren

2 |3000