question

rel avatar image
rel asked

Venus on Raspberry Pi 4?

Hello,

I tried to run Venus on a Raspberry Pi 4 according to the infos given here and using the image raspberrypi2-...-v2.33 from GitHub.

But the Raspi 4 doesn not boot, no console output, no network connection activity, no IP found in the whole IP range.

Question: is the image 2.33 by principle running on a model Pi 4 or only on Pi 2x/3x?

Best regards,

REL

Venus OSRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi M Vader

Just a update on the raspi4 ver 1.4 PCB it is now running and booting. There are some new files that needed to to installed in the U-boot folder. start4.elf and fixup4.dat from the rapi github site.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I don't believe that it has been ported to the Pi4 as of yet.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Indeed; there was no time spent on it. (yet).

0 Likes 0 ·
trisa avatar image
trisa answered ·

Any updates on this? Will it be done in the future?

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Most likely yes. But it depends on free time of our developers. If you have experience with the open embedded build system, uboot and similar, then welcome to help!

0 Likes 0 ·
pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·
6 comments
2 |3000

robinrottier avatar image robinrottier commented ·

That images worked first time for me on my Pi4 without any problems or complications. Thanks!

Now I'm struggling to get the RPi4/venus to connect using bluetooth to my MPPT:

- from a terminal session, I can see the MPPT using bluetoothctl and its scan command, but pairing fails

- In the victron control app settings it mentions bluetooth -- and its enabled -- but it doesn;t find the MPPT if I select scan in that app

Any ideas what to do next to try getting bluetooth working to connect to devices and get some useful stats logging in the app?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ robinrottier commented ·

Doing that (connecting to a victron device over bluetooth) is a major development project. Not something easily done.

the other way around however, making your pi running Venus accessible via bluetooth with the VictronConnect app, is a matter of making sure bluetooth low energy and bluez work well on your pi. And perhaps some venus os configuration. No real development on the userland applications in venus os, since we have done all that already; in preparation of the Cerbo GX.

the now available VictronConnect app already has required functionality to do so; as well as Venus OS. v2.42.

would be cool if some of you rpi enthusiasts goes and makes the bluetooth work for that! All the best. Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
buzzlightyear avatar image buzzlightyear commented ·

Thank you. Downloaded, wrote onto SD card, put into Brand new RPI4 that has not even booted yet, and worked 1st time. It's now happily logging my Multiplus data to VRM.

I did have trouble getting the Remote Console to work in Brave browser on Android, had to switch off Fingerprint protection, now it works!

Thank you Victron and all involved!

0 Likes 0 ·
Innar Järva avatar image Innar Järva commented ·

Just asking if there are any updates to the Venus image located at https://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/tmp/venus-image-raspberrypi4-20191124183952-v2.40~42.rootfs.wic.zip

USB with MultiPlus works great, but looking forward to having bluetooth enabled to connect to MPPT too :)

Tried modprobing, modified /etc/bluetooth and so on, but bluetoothctl still shows "no controller available".

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob avatar image Rob commented ·

I have tried this and it boots up straight away but then comes up with an error.
Any ideas?
When I burnt it to the memory card it didn’t actually come up as an OS under file type. Total newbie here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob avatar image Rob Rob commented ·

Ignore that. I updated Etcher and tried again. All good apart from no touchscreen.

0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

@pau1phi11ips

Hallo,

Thank you for the great work, the image works out of the box, with some tweaks even with touch screen support.

There is a glitch in the package, the opkg repository for the raspberry pi 4 links to non existing directory:

(file: /etc/opkg/venus.conf)

src/gz raspberrypi4 https://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/packages/rocko/raspberrypi4

I was searching for some missing kernel modules and other software, like apt package manager, BT drivers, display drivers, GPIO configuration, etc.

Is there a way to add also the official raspberry pi software repositories, and to what OS version would I have to point to?

Thank you very much!

3 comments
2 |3000

jeroen avatar image jeroen ♦ commented ·

That link will start working once Venus has rpi 4 support.

0 Likes 0 ·
arve avatar image arve commented ·

any fix for this?

0 Likes 0 ·
blankc avatar image blankc arve commented ·

Is there a different directory that we can redirect it to that will work until it is released?

0 Likes 0 ·
bradfordharley avatar image
bradfordharley answered ·

Out of curiosity, why the Pi4 for this? The Pi3b:+ in my (quite limited) experience has all the horsepower needed for this task. Now, a docker version (or vm) that I can run on my Pi4....that's interesting!

2 |3000

jfleissner avatar image
jfleissner answered ·

Hi Rob,

thanks a lot for finding this, I am struggeling: need to set up some raspis and running out of older boards. Could you still help me a bit: where exactly do I find the files to replace the current ones? Was serching the Rasperry Github but no luck.

Thank you!

Johannes

EDIT: This is the link: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot

Just download the two files mentioned above, replace them on the SD and go.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi Johannes

Attached link bleow for the latest raspi firmware updates to get the raspi 4 booting etc.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
jfleissner avatar image jfleissner Rob Duthie commented ·
Thank you!
0 Likes 0 ·
Hi

Correct, The touch is not functionaly yet but at least the screen boots up now. There is missing files in the sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight folder. Compared to the raspi3 version of venus.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·