question

danishgod avatar image
danishgod asked

BMV 712 performance

BMV 712 question. I have a new BMV 712 installed. It is new to the trailer, not replacing an existing BMV 700 in my 2022 Airstream that has 180w of solar. The BMV remains in place attached to a Victron Blue solar MPPT via a VE cable. When I am hooked up to shore power - 50 amp - the 712 shows my SOC and volts, but nothing else is changing like amps or watts. There is no history or trends. My installer told me there is nothing being displayed other than volts and SOC when on shore power. and the Volt readings match other volt systems so it appears to be hooked up properly from that perspective.

If you go off shore power, boondocking, as an example, the 712 will start working and show all the readouts on the 712. Is my system working the way it should or is the advice I received wrong and I have to start digging for the reason? and if the system is not working as designed, what do i need to do? Thanks in advance. I am a pretty basic mechanical guy with limited understanding of power.

BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

More information is needed.

Are you just reading the display or using the app

And how would the BMV know when you are connected to shore and change what to display? that's not really logical. It either know current is flowing this way or that way in the DC system

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

A BMV is simply a battery monitor. It's not for shore power.

You'll need to tell us how it's wired, how the 700 is wired.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Also worth noting that the solar controller cannot be connected to the BMV via VE.Direct - I mean it physically can, the ports match up, but it won't work because that's not how VE.Direct networking functions. So it could very well be that the system is not connected properly to begin with, or something is connected in a way other than as has been described to you or at least other than as you believe you're seeing.

2 |3000