question

palmern avatar image
palmern asked

EasySolar II indicates 46.5% battery but Solar charger indicates 78%

looking at the display this morning the Easy Solar was showing batteries at 46.5% -connecting a Generator indicated only 50W of charge load. connecting to the Solar Charger via blue tooth shows the batteries at 78%.

which is correct ? how do I get display to show correct level ?

Note - this is a new install so its likely a setting but which ?

Regards

Nick

MPPT Controllers
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
What is in the system? is.this a model of EasySolar with built in GX?

Usually the battery state comes from a smart shunt or the BMS in compatible lithium batteries. Also if it's winter where you are the batteries may limit charge due to temperature and other reasons
0 Likes 0 ·
palmern avatar image palmern commented ·

So to add a little more info as requested by kevgermany

Yes it has built in GX Firmware V3.01, Battery config is 180Ah 48V AGM.

After a system restart battery level is now 100%- This I can understand as it does not know now the exact battery state anymore. How do I get a correct result of battery level easily ? there are no other DC loads connected to battery bank.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ palmern commented ·

If there is no shunt you cant trust either.

Not sure what you connected to but a solar charger does not give SOC?

How is the system programmed? Was any of the firmware updated?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ palmern commented ·
Where are you reading SOC? What is the source of the reading?

100% after restart sounds very much like a BMV or smart shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
palmern avatar image palmern kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Too add as best I can the system consists of a GX device

Smart solar charger MPPT 250/70

An inverter / charger

And a gateway

The front display is what is indicating battery charge level but logging into the solar charger gives a different figure

Also looking at it online gives the same charge figure

Nick

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ palmern commented ·
As @Alexandra said, any SOC figures are approximate, unless there's a shunt based battery measurement. This can be a BMV, or smart shunt. Some lithium battery BMS will also give accurate SOC values to the GX, but those which work off battery voltage generally don't.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
zimbel avatar image
zimbel answered ·

I had a similar issue lately with my EasySolar 2 and a self built Battery storage.

After a few months the BMS said that the SOC is 46,2% while simultaneously running into undervoltage protection. I had changed the "charging strategy" to 15%-50% (start using the battery again when 50% is reached) and it seemed that the BMS lost track of the correct SOC. I had to fully charge the battery to 100% and now it's working again (and i hope with more or less correct SOC)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

palmern avatar image palmern commented ·
I shall give that a try and advise outcome

0 Likes 0 ·