question

Silvio Franceschini avatar image
Silvio Franceschini asked

MultiPlus 24/5000 overload shutdown without load - crackling noise

Can 230V output capacitors cause overload and shutdown?

My older MP 24/5000 had now twice overload shutdowns without any load on the output. Crackling noises tell me some electronic component issues.
First one, over one month ago. That time I switched the unit off and waited one night. reconfigure just in case and had no issues for more than a month.

Now the error is back. From the crackling noice I guess on break through at output capacitor, which cause a short cut over phase and neutral. No Error LED’s, just overload when the cracke starts and unit shut down.

I’m not sure if its also temperature related, unit is at around 5-7 degrees and issue don’t show up strait away after switch ON, it vary around 1min after start up.

As system has been working in between the errors, there is no issue with battery voltage etc.

As some folks here know the MP circuitboards quite well, may some one have an idea?

Thanks a lot Freens

Same issue as here (sad without solution):

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/105655/quattro-overload-with-noise.html?childToView=253740#answer-253740

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Silvio Franceschini avatar image Silvio Franceschini commented ·

I found the solution :-D. It was probably the moister, or some condensing moister.
Can just guess what happened inside. Anyway, till now Multi is back in service.

Solution:

I heated the MultiPlus for one hour with a small 1000W air heater over a generator, till the Multi was around 30° Degrees and waited two more hours. Switch the Multi back on and it was back a life.
Seams a good heat / dry could solve the problem.

Will build now a heated enclosure for the system.
Reliable technology even in harsh conditions :-)

Thanks to all involved for ideas about fault and solutions. Cheers

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
lillevenn avatar image
lillevenn answered ·

@Silvio Franceschini

Hello Freens, afterone year and many victron service centers with no help, my problem could be solved. I don't know exactly what they did, but they told me it was a problem of moisture, which made sense to me because our Quattro was unattended for 3 month in a compartement that wasn't completely dry.

When in used it before, that place was heated up from an engine and ventilated from time to time, but without use it caused the problem. Since more than 1 year no problem anymore. If you think, this could be the same for you, I could try to find the service report.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Silvio Franceschini avatar image Silvio Franceschini commented ·
@LilleVenn

Thanks a lot for your fast reply, very much appreciated.

Yes this could also be a problem in my case. Unit sits in a to moisty stone house.

If you could / would find the service rapport it would be great. So may I could decrease the hassle you had a bit.

Hope you still enjoy your boat. We changed to land life now.

let me know if I can be of help for you.

cheers Freens

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Silvio Franceschini commented ·
Non condensing environment is stated clearly in the manual.

Not sure how Victron is responsible for the choices made in installation especially if they do not meet the minimum standard in the manual. Or why it does not perform as we expected when guidlines are not followed. And then, how do you troubleshoot when the damp is environment is not on the test bench, they are not magicians or clairvoyant!

0 Likes 0 ·
Silvio Franceschini avatar image Silvio Franceschini Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thank you Alexandra for your answer and reading the manual for me. Always nice if someone is doing if for me and not I’m the reader and explainer :-).

Did I stated somewhere that Victron is in any reason responsible for my problem?

Do you know the environment at my place? Or my experience with Victron Products?

My question was related if AC capacitors and the overload issue could be linked.

A kind member here has experienced the same issue and explained it.

After this I figured out it could be the a too moist environment.

I guess Victron products, as off grid products see regularly harsh environment and still perform very good (my experience).

May this time it was to much, may not.

I also know the support structure and service options at Victron.

You don’t have to defend Victron, I’m in the same boat.

Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·