question

furyjk98 avatar image
furyjk98 asked

Using SmartShunt to drive a relay of the Non-Victron Inverter's Grid Power

I currently have a SmartSolar MPPT 100 | 50, which harvests around 5KW a day.

This is connected to a Non-Victron Inverter of capacity 3 KVA + 150Ah 25.6V LFP battery.

The inverter as a Grid Switchover function, where it will stop inverting, and power the loads directly from the Grid. However, currently, I can set it to do the switchover based on Voltage levels of the battery, but as you know LFP battery's SOC cannot be accurately measured based on Voltage, and keeps going up and down based on the load applied.

I just wanted to know if I can use the Relay feature of the MPPT's VE.Direct port or the Shunt's VE.Direct port to drive an external relay to turn on and off the grid power.

Does the SmartShunt has an option to use VE.Direct port to control the Virtual Load output based on the SOC of the battery? or if I connect the SmartShunt and MPPT via the VE.Networking, will the MPPT give an option to control the Virtual Load based on the SOC of the Smartshunt reading?

MPPT SmartSolarSmartShuntRelay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@FuryJK98

The ve smart network only voltage, current sense and temperature are sent over the network not SOC.

The ve direct is for communication and monitoring on the shunt.

Controlling from the MPPT is really the only option you have but not on SOC; unless you switch to a BMV they have programmable relays built into them.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

furyjk98 avatar image
furyjk98 answered ·

Thank you for letting me know, the store near me is selling both the products at the same price. So I guess I will just go with the BMV Smart 712.

One question though. Can I connect a 220V AC wire to Relay's COM and NC circuit, can it handle 5A - 10A of a surge load? or, shall I just another external relay to drive the 5V DC signal for that relay?

2 |3000