question

anders-lange avatar image
anders-lange asked

Isolation Transformer Mounting

My shore power plug is located in the anker locker on my 33 feet sail-boat.

Would the forward bulkhead in the V-berth of a sail-boat be an appropriate location to mount an Isolation Transformer (I'm aiming for the 2000VA variant)?

My main concern is if the Isolation Transformer can withstand the vibrations generated from the boat impacting waves when sailing upwind, or if I should mount it further aft in the boat to reduce acceleration- / G-forces imposed on it.

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kaz911 avatar image
kaz911 answered ·

you should always try NOT to mount heavy items close to the bow on a sailboat. Your upwind sailing performance will decline as you put more weight forward (on most well designed sail boats)

It will be better closer to "centre of gravity" of the boat - or close to your AC panel on the boat :)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

anders-lange avatar image anders-lange commented ·
I fully agree.

I might also end up placing it further aft.

But given limited space, and that the 230V inlet is located in the achor locker, it might be the best compromize.
There's also an anchor + chain and rope even closer to the bow, and under the V-berth there is a waster-tank and waste water tank adding to the weight in the front.

I was mainly concerned if the Isolation Transformer would be able to withstand the G-forces, it would inevitable be subjected to, if mounted in on V-berth to anchor locker bulkhead.

0 Likes 0 ·
kaz911 avatar image
kaz911 answered ·

you could just put a galvanic isolator in. It provides about 80-90% of the protection you get from a isolation transformer. If you are in the Baltics that would usually be enough as water is not very salty (conductive) and people (in general) look after their marinas well.

I was in the middle east for a long time - and would not have a boat there without a isolation transformer...

1 comment
2 |3000

anders-lange avatar image anders-lange commented ·
Good point :-)

I actually already have a 16A Victron galvanic isolator mounted.
But I'm seriously considering upgrading to a 2000VA isolation transformer, both for the guaranteed isolation from galvanic corrosion due to ground loops via the shore power connection and submerged metals, but also very much due to the added personal safety.

I would love to get some offical input from a Victron representative, wether or not the isolation transformer is build to withstand the g-forces it would experiences if mounted on a forward bulkhead in a sailboat.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic