question

jackbyo avatar image
jackbyo asked

Help setting up Smartshunt settings with LiFePO4. Tail Current and Charged Detection Time?

Setting up my SmartShunt with a brand new 120ah 12v LiFePO4 battery. The manual provides guidance for some settings but not others.

For Charged Voltage, the manual says the following:
The “charged voltage” parameter should be set to 0.2V or 0.3V below the float voltage of the charger.

This seems like it's only written for Lead Acid, but anyway I looked up the float voltage of my CTEK D250SE charger, which is 13.3V. So I will set Charged voltage to 13.1V.

However for Tail Current and Charged Detection Time, the manual does not provide any clear guidance on settings. It just says that both of these need to be accurately set in order for the shunt to consider the battery fully charged. It provides a range, but doesn't say anything else.

What should these be set to? My battery manufacturer does not provide this information, but it's a very standard LiFePO4 battery.

I want to make sure I have this right, because I am worried the shunt will show the battery as fully charged whenever it hits 13.1V, which will be extremely inaccurate as it is well below the Bulk and Absorption phases of my CTEK charger.

Thank you!

BMV Battery Monitor
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@jackbyo

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/SmartShunt/en/configuration.html#UUID-43af2c64-8f8f-f942-0603-283d02efa6aa

For lithium settings peukerts is really the important one to change.

The rest is trial and error as lithium's are so variable in their management.

1 Like 1 ·
regman54 avatar image regman54 commented ·
@jackbyo Your CTEK charger controls the charge and will continue to charge the battery to whatever algorithm it has for your type of battery so nothing to be concerted about. It likely doesn't even know your shunt exists. The shunt is just a battery monitor for observing and recording current in and out of your battery, it doesn't control the charge. But to report somewhat accurately the battery's state of charge it has to know some specifics. Why the setting shunt to the small difference of a couple hundred milliamps I don't know. I have a hunch but I'd rather not say. Perhaps someone can explain better than I could.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@jackbyo Have a look at this BMV youtube tutorial.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.