question

justin-adan avatar image
justin-adan asked

Can I safely add a third mppt?

Hi all,

I currently am running a quattro 48/8000, with 2 current MPPT's linked to 2 different facing strings. These charge 7 Pylontech US3000C's. During summer the incoming PV from the panels caps out around 6500w from the MPPT's. I am however interested in understanding if I can add a third controller of say another 2500w - 3000w, to get my batteries charged faster in Summer, and secondly during winter to get me more PV time. The sun shifts quite a lot in winter so I'm wanting to angle this third string most optimally for Winter collection.

Any ideas where I can start research or find any additional info around MPPT and charge limits? Also not clear to me is if the quattro will be limiting factor here at all?

MPPT Controllersmppt calculator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Quattro isn going to affect it unless you charge from the grid.

You don't say if there's a GX device in the system. Correctly set up, this will allow the Pylontechs to control charging across the MPPTs and quattro.

Otherwise a third MPPT can be installed, as long as you respect the charging current limits of the batteries.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

This.

The limit is the max charge amps to the battery. 7x37A is 259A max in bulk charge - information that can be found on the pylon batteries.

If there is a GX is (meaning the system charge amps) will all be taken care of and throttled by the batteries when necessary. Even if you also charge from the Quattro at the same time. (Which depending on your model is 100A or 140A max) it will be controlled.

1 Like 1 ·
justin-adan avatar image justin-adan commented ·

awesome thanks guys, so I was then correct in understanding the MPPT's can charge the batts direct, as can the quattro from grid. And I only need to consider overall charge limits. But the cerbo will keep everything nicely under control.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic