question

arildo avatar image
arildo asked

Fuse for balancer

Does the balancer include short circuit protection? There are a number of schematics for the balancer and many threads on this forum about the wiring. However, few speak about the protection of this circuit. The general answer is that all circuits needs to be protected, but none of the diagrams I have seen shows an example of this. What components would be recommended to fuse all of the wires needed for a 48V systems with multiple strings of batteries (three balancers)?.

fusesBattery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Arildo

In the manual it give min fuse sizing and wire gauge. See (4)

Your wire choice to some degree also changes the fuse size. The wire gauge needs to also be able to carry current if a battery goes open circuit. 6mm is the max though.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

arildo avatar image arildo commented ·
Yes, I have seen that. It is just that it is presented as something that is not really necessary unless you need to comply with UL. UL is practically for US, but I guess this is a requirement according to most national codes worldwide. Obviously all wiring and components needs protection, so will the fuse be fast enough for the proposed 0,75mm2? In other words, what fuse and what wire to use. What I first wondered was if this was somehow built in protection inside the balancer component.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ arildo commented ·
Using .75mm is like using the wire as a fuse.
0 Likes 0 ·
arildo avatar image arildo kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

i.e. not recommended. But you only need a cable that can handle the let-through energy during the time for the fuse to blow. I was hoping I could get the answer here, rather than doing the research. I guess 2,5 should be more than enough with a fast 10A fuse, but I have not done the math.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic