question

captmike avatar image
captmike asked

MultiPlus II with hardwired Hughes Watch Dog

Before we did our Victron install, our fifth wheel had Renogy solar equipment. We had a 50 amp Hughes Watch Dog with EPO, no autoformer, installed by the dealer prior to delivery. The dealer installed the WD on the shore power line prior to the transfer switch. The Victron installer initially left it that way, but the generator wouldn't come on line. We have the 3000 Multiplex II inverter. He stated this: "You have 2 forms of incoming power. Shore and generator. I have a feeling your watchdog got installed on the shore line and I used that for the inverter. This would cause the inverter to not see the generator. Watchdog should have been installed between ATS and panel." He moved the WD to after the ATS, and I believe, connected the WD to the inverter. My question is: will the system work, and will the generator come online, with the WD where they are usually installed, prior to the ATS ? At least that way the ATS will have some protection. Thank you.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

If the watchdog was originally installed on the shore line prior to the ATS, it would have absolutely nothing to do with the generator. If it has been installed between the ATS and the inverter, then it will 'see' both shore and generator inputs.

There have been several reports (search the threads here) of the watchdog causing problems with the victron equipment. You may also have an issue with the victron playing nicely with your generator. If your watchdog does not have the option of enabling bypass mode, I would temporarily remove the watchdog and verify operations with the generator, then once you verify all is working correctly, reinstall the watchdog and proceed with troubleshooting.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

captmike avatar image
captmike answered ·

Thanks, Derrick. All works well now. He moved the WD to between the ATS and the panel. The generator does now come online. Haven't tried shore power since he moved it as we are long term boondocking in Quartzite, but the generator does come online now. I was just wondering if you could wire it so the WD was on the shore power line prior to the ATS, and still get the Multiplex to see the generator when it started. Then when we do use shore power, the ATS would be protected if there was a problem with the shore power. I will ask the installer also, as I will see him in a few days. Just trying to edify myself on this system.

2 |3000