question

rns avatar image
rns asked

Micro inverters

Are there some plans for a microinverter concept.

Now for mixed shaded panels the only option are microinverters. Is victron working on something like that ?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I do not think, that Victron will do it since there are already manufacturers, e.G. Hoymill, which do it already with a very nice perfornance.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rns avatar image
rns answered ·

These are AC micro inverters. It would be nice to have something as a DC micro inverter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Mppts are already manufactured in small sizes. 75/15 & 75/10. And they run loads from them.

Other manufacturers make them smaller. What would you want it for?

0 Likes 0 ·
rns avatar image
rns answered ·

I was thinking to add them under the PV panel just like a micro inverter but just DC.

I have a string of 10 panels that get some shade from the neighbours house that is moving over the panels. This string is DC coupled to my battery. So with some kind of DC micro inverter I could get more out of these panels.

3 comments
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
The SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 can handel a 440Wp modul with 24V system voltage (can use even a 500Wp moduke with Vmpp 50V) and the SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 560W @24V (e.G. 2x 310Wp 36Vmpp) and 1100W @48V (e.G. 4x 310Wp)

Only oroblem is, that the 75/15 cost 140€ and the 100/20 180€ which is a little bit expensive compared to the Hoymill

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
Oh, if you add a DC power rail near the Panels, you will need two realy big cables to your Battery e g. 35/50mm2.

How big are your panels? (Watt and Voc)

What is your System Voltage?
0 Likes 0 ·
rns avatar image rns Michelle Konzack commented ·
435 Wp panels, you're right the cables will be the problem. so a stupid idea from me.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Yes there are such things called "optimizers" but Victron does not make them.

2 |3000