question

kdjuflusd avatar image
kdjuflusd asked

Ve Configure Tutorial Part 2 (4 Multiplus 2 Inputs)

Dear Victron Community,
I have a question about the configuration options that I am sure only Victron can answer directly.

I will soon have 4 Multiplus 48/5000 - I would like to create a 3-phase ESS from 3 of them - the fourth should be connected but switched off by default.
The plan is to run this either as a backup (there are several Victron systems in my circle of friends) or as a charger in the event of a mains failure with an emergency generator.
There is also a Cerbo-GX and several Pylontech US5000s.

Using the 4th Victron as a normal charger (without connection to the Cerbo and without connection to the BMS seems to work without any problems in principle.

Now I have found the following in the VE-Configure-Tutorial:
"Part 2: 3 phase system with 3 phase AC input and single phase AC input; steps 13-22"
There is also an entry on this in the German-language photovoltaic forum, but no solution.

Can I program the above tutorial into the Victrons (3x AC input 1 & switch as group and 1x AC input 2 not switch as group)? In this case, can I connect an emergency generator to the 4th Victron (no grid connection) and leave it switched off by default or will this not work? The advantage would be communication with the BMS and that the Cerbo would know all the components.

Many thanks for your help

VEConfigure 3ac coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

A non-symmetrical system is not recommended for an ESS installation.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

It's best to let the 4th MultiPlus run in stand-alone mode. You can use a MK3 interface to connect that MultiPlus to the GX device.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kdjuflusd avatar image
kdjuflusd answered ·

Dear Matthias,

thanks a lot for the recommendation. What do you think - should I connect it via MK3 Interface to the GX device or should I leave the 4th Multiplus withut GX device?

In case I connect it to the GX device - does the 4th Multiplus gets information about the Pylontech BMS? Until now I thought the GX-device can only handle the 3 Multiplus (ESS system)?

Thanks a lot and have all a beautiful christmas.

2 |3000

kdjuflusd avatar image
kdjuflusd answered ·

... a short second question - is 16mm^2 over sized for AC-wires? In the manual is only a warning concerning over dimensioning but it isn't written where over dimensioning starts (round about 20-30 meters from grid to Multiplus).

2 |3000