question

timevans2000 avatar image
timevans2000 asked

victron orion problems

I have two Orion B2B 17A 24v chargers set to charge from my engine battery to the lithium battery. The alternator is 60A.

When I start the engine the Orions are cold. The charging output is never more than 11A each. These are supposed to be 17A chargers. They never give me anything like that output. When they get hot, the output drops to 5A even with computers fans installed to blow over the Orions cooling fins.if I turn off one orion. I still only get 11A from one orion.

In addition, these two orions are causing my engine revs to fluctuate on my rev counter. The revs are constant but thr rev counter is not. These are new units this year. Very disappointed in them

connection issue
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Guessing a 12V alternator. The Orions are too big for it. Input current to the alternators will be over double the output current

You should aim to keep max sustained load on the alternator at around 50% of rated output.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

timevans2000 avatar image timevans2000 commented ·

The engine batteries are 2x110Ah 12v batteries in parallel to give 24v. The boat is a 24v boat. The alternator is 60A@24v. Even with one Orion turned off, the remaining Orion only outputs about 11A. As the Orions rapidly heat up, the output drops even lower. This is with mechanical ventilation provided directly to the fins on the rear.

0 Likes 0 ·
Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

Have you used custom settings or default, se h a ve found we were also experiancing low outputs, using custom settings, it was recomended we revert to factory default, which rectified our issues.

2 |3000

myhomebuzz avatar image
myhomebuzz answered ·

@TimEvans2000

Quel est le voltage de la batterie du porteur : 24 ou 12V ?

Quel est le voltage de la batterie de la cellule : 24 ou 12V ?

Quel est le modèle exact de l'Orion ?

Si je me base sur le modèle à 17A, c'est un Orion Tr Smart 24-24 | 17A. Ce modèle est fait pour une entrée et sortie 24V, pas pour 12V. Seul les Smart peuvent recharger des batteries.

Une perte est effective en fonction de la température. Le rendement pour ce modèle est de 89%. Selon la distance et le câblage, des pertes sont augmentées comme l'échauffement.

1 comment
2 |3000

timevans2000 avatar image timevans2000 commented ·
The lithium and engine batteries are both 24v.

There is no way the efficiency of the model is 89%. They get hot very quickly. Even when cool to the touch we don't see anything like the output claimed by Victron.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Please post a screen shots of the first screen for Victron connect. Engine running and engine off. Also the battery settings page. Assuming both configured identically.

Also please check the connections to the Orion. What cable is it, are you using ferrules?

2 |3000

timevans2000 avatar image
timevans2000 answered ·

I am using 8AWG for both Orions. I wired from the main battery busbar in tinned 8AWG to power posts next to the Orions, wire length is 1.2m to the Orions. I did this to get better cooling for the Orions. Originally they were in a location that was too warm. I thought this was the issue, so now they are in a cooler spot (open to the saloon) with computer fans cooling them.

From the power posts I have used the maximum tinned wire size I can fit in the Orion terminals. No ferrules. The Orions run very hot to the touch. Nothing is running hot on the power posts or at the busbars. Cables are all cool.

Rather than me take photos of running and not running, can you recommend settings for 24v boat, conventional alternator. Lithium batteries. 60A 24v alternator. I have tried the lithium default setting and custom settings with exactly the same results.

The Orions are out-putting and switching on and on fine, just way below the 17A spec

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic