question

vassilis-bourdakis avatar image
vassilis-bourdakis asked

r-pi: New users / New beta install on a new SD, observations

as a now old beta user (maybe two years and counting) and having done numerous installations/reinstallations/upgrades on my two r-pis a couple of observations:

a new comer will be slightly confused on a new sd/new rpi combo install as OK, it's clear how to get the thing onto an SD card in different OSs, but once a headless rpi is booted, things are getting a bit difficult. If on a wifi with passwd and no wifi, how do they progress?

[see this thread f e : https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/101106/can-victron-os-on-raspberry-pi-be-configured-for-w.html ]

After 1 yr of doing upgrades (lately even remotely without issues, well done team!) and since I'm going from release to release and don't want to mess a running system with betas, I decided to fireup my rpi4 2GB with a 7in rpi display and test it with a small lifepo4 bank and diybms at home, the one working on the boat also has a 3B+ and a 7in display.

Booted, ended up with the terminal command line, had to grab a usb keyboard to type in, check the two instructions to make the root temporarily read write, remove headless from /etc/venus and reboot. After that I could boot use the touch screen and configure the bits I wanted as well as wifi passwd in order to remote console.

THEN, all was plain sailing, but if I hadn't been playing around with rpis and venus os for a couple of years I doubt I'd have gone through the process. I accept that once you have a system running and booting (headless or not) and have remote console running it's fine,

I just want to warn that maybe doc/info are not so helpful to new comers, that's all!

[or I've lost some newcomer links - v.possible but then probably are not where they should be for a newbie...]

cheers

Vassilis

Not sure - Admin please assign or create
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
sarah1331 avatar image
sarah1331 answered ·

Load Venus image to sdcard and power pi

Pick up phone connect by victron connect app Select the WiFi you want to connect to (either phone hotspot or same network your phone is connected) take note of remote ip

open internet on phone and type the ip or Venus.local

Enable super user, ssh on lan and enter password

use a ssh app host is the ip user is root and password is what you have set

You can then headless mode here or run all your setup commands here (setup helper)

I am guessing an android could even do step one?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vassilis-bourdakis avatar image vassilis-bourdakis commented ·

agree, what I was trying to say (not v.clearly) is that a newcomer will find all that hard and possibly miss the opportunity on joining the beta...

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic