question

wilbert avatar image
wilbert asked

Using Van chassis as negative

Hello all,

So I'm designing an electrical system for my van to be campervan. It's an Citroën Jumper (Fiat Ducato). The design is based on this schematic, using Non-isolated TR smarts as a common 12V negative is used:

MultiPlus-3KW-230VAC-12VDC-600Ah-Li-Lynx-Smart-BMS-&-distributors-Cerbo-GX-touch-generator-MPPT-Orion-Tr-Smarts.pdf

Now, it would save me a lot of weight, wiring and costs if I were to use the van's chassis as negative instead of routing negative wires to some (if not most, but not all) locations.

I am aware that some would advice against it due to the risk of bad chassis connections. But if I can mitigate that risk, what would be other reasons not to use the chassis as 12V negative? Eventually it all seems to end up there (at the chassis) anyways.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Cheers.

campervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Can do it, but not a good idea if you're running heavy currents. Potential corrosion issues. However the leisure side should share a common earth with the starter battery to ensure common voltage levels.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wilbert avatar image
wilbert answered ·

Thank you!

Can you please clarify the potential corrosion issues and what you consider heavy currents?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic