mviertel avatar image
mviertel asked

Time shifting without grid code

I have the following components:

- Multiplus-II-48/5000/50-70

- Gerbo GX

- 2 x BlueSolar 150/35

- 2 x Pylontech US5000

The DC side of this setup is running perfectly for over a year now, all components are setup with the current FW. I have no grid codes set and don't want any backfeeding at all. AC-1 is used purely as AC-Out for consuming loads.

I want to be able to use AC-In with a grid connection for charging only, so that when the battery is low and there is no expected solar next day(s), I can charge the batteries during the cheapest grid hours at night between 2am - 4am. I got it partially working by controlling supply to AC-In via a relay, but this seems to results in warnings and error messages every night.

I understand that ESS can be used to program the MP2 to charge during these hours, but I am getting conflicting infos here. In the forum there are posts that a grid code needs to be set and ESS assistants loaded on the MP2. However, in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZntrN-J2xkQ with Lance Vickery (Victron), he clearly states that a grid code is NOT required and that it's possible to do this with the ESS on the Cerbo. However, on the Cerbo I only see "No assistants available" under the ESS settings.

Quite confusing.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@mviertel

The real question is what are your local regulations?

The ESS assistant which drives the schedule charge requires a grid code to be set.

Some countries have a definite requirement for ESS so they have grid codes. And to have ESS this must be selected.

For some of us, grid code other can be used. Program the assistant, Then the settings will be available.

The other option is to use the generator for time charge, connect the Cerbo relay to the aux input. And program the aux input to open and close the main programmable relay to open and closed based on the signal it receives.

So no ESS but you still get a schedule charge.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mviertel avatar image mviertel commented ·

Thanks for your response, but please note what I wrote. If a Victron rep states that a grid code is NOT required for time based charging only, than this is in direct contradiction. I don't want to use AC-1 for charging and eliminate any possibility of backfeeding by only having AC-In used to connect the MP2 as a pure consuming device.

What confuses me is Lance's statement in the video about using the Cerbox ESS INSTEAD of the ESS on the MP2 (which does seem to require a grid code).

0 Likes 0 ·