question

kosio86 avatar image
kosio86 asked

Smart solar 100/20 Error code 2 explained in detail

Hi all,

I am about to install Smart Solar 100/20, replacing my not-working CTEK D250SA. I read the manual and saw that there is an error code 2 that will appear if the battery voltage is higher than set. I still want to utilize my other means of charging: AC-DC charger when I am camping ( was connected to leisure battery directly by now) and , and my Car alternator (was connected to the CTEK D250SA alternator port). I want to connect them both to the leisure battery directly, now. However I understand that the voltage rise when charging with any of them will cause Error 2 on the Smart Solar MPPT device. The manual says that this will automatically reset, when the voltage goes back to normal. My questions are:

1. Am I assuming correctly?

2. Is my intended setup safe for the controller?

3. If 2=false what should I do as a workaround?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Kosio. I think you may be reading a little too much into this. I agree that the description of that error message isn't so clear, but I expect they're talking nominal V settings (eg 12V vs 24V), and not literally instantaneous Vbat. Like some really obvious mismatch.

Not to say that mightn't happen if the other charger is overcharging, like performing an equalization (I don't know). But it wouldn't charge then anyway..

Your intended setup should work fine if the CTEK is doing what it should. There are probably many thousands of people doing similar daily without issue.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic