question

199mbs avatar image
199mbs asked

48V solar to MPPT to 12V lifepo

Thought this would be a simple question to answer, but after an hour on this site and another hour reading the controller manual, a clear answer hasn't been found. I'm installing solar on my rv. A single 48V 400W solar panel connects to a SmartSolar mppt 75/15 then to a single 12v 280Ah lifepo battery. Will there be an issue programming the mppt to step down the 48v solar to charge the 12v battery? And not fry the it.. Any input appreciated.

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

That's exactly what it's for. Up to 75vDC (this is a hard limit, so make sure the VOC of your panel is a good 5-10% below 75v) on the PV input, down to 12v or 24v on the battery output - that should have been fairly clear in the manual, which one were you reading?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

199mbs avatar image 199mbs commented ·
That's the answer I was hoping for. Thank you. Panel VoC is 47, so well below 75. The online manual for was for SmartSolar MPPT 75/15.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ 199mbs commented ·

Okay, you're good then. I'm not sure I said anything different than is in the Introduction section of the manual, though... that's why I asked which manual you were reading, I figured you must have been looking at a different one.

75-15.png

0 Likes 0 ·
75-15.png (77.4 KiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic