question

alistair99 avatar image
alistair99 asked

Blue Smart IP65 12V 15A Charger gives ~12V at terminals on absorption & Mode button problem.

Recently purchased charger. Charging vehicle Lead Acid battery. Connection between charger & battery terminals uses supplied Victron croc clips. After initial test, charger briefly shows bulk charging & quickly settles on absorption charge. V at croc clips ~12V with current less than 1A. From the graphic I was expecting 14.4V at the clips in absorption mode. Is this incorrect? Also mode switch on charger does not work at all (although mode can changed from phone). Any advice please.

charger
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
sounds like it's going into float mode. Have you checked the voltage settings in the charger?
0 Likes 0 ·
alistair99 avatar image alistair99 Mike Dorsett commented ·

Thanks for fast response: LEDs indicate Abs mode. Phone indicates 12.97V & 1A in Abs charge. Voltage settings seem as expected from phone interogation, i.e Battery preset Normal, Max charge current 15A, Abs 14.4V, Float 13.8V ,

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Are you sure the charger is in "charger" mode rather than "power supply" mode? Check that in the app.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alistair99 avatar image alistair99 commented ·

Thanks - from the Phone : function shown as "Charger"

0 Likes 0 ·
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

I have the Blue Smart Charger as well so I just went out to the garage to compare. If the battery is near being fully charged yes it will quickly go through Bulk mode then move to Absorption. With mine however when it went to Abs mode the voltage was is 14.4 which is to be expected and should stay there until fully charged. As for the starting amperage in Abs mode it will vary depending on state of charge. An my case the current started a 2.1A and 5 minutes later was at 1.6 and will continue to drop until the battery is fully charge then move to Float mode.

As for the mode button not working you should be able to cycle through the settings when pressed. I'd return it do the dealer and have them test it out. Hope that helps.

1 comment
2 |3000

alistair99 avatar image alistair99 commented ·
Thanks for fast response confirming that Abs mode should be delivering 14.4V as I expected. I think it is time to phone the dealer
0 Likes 0 ·
alistair99 avatar image
alistair99 answered ·

For completeness: charger returned to dealer, found faulty after testing & a new charger delivered. Replacement working as expected.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you for coming back to give us the resolution, that helps everyone else too!

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic