question

johannes123 avatar image
johannes123 asked

Victron "1,5:4,8" rule with Pytes batteries - Are less kWh ok?

Hello,
the Victron "1,5:4,8" rule says that with Lithium batteries you need 4,8 kWh of battery storage for 1,5 kWp installed AC PV power.

But as the rumour is that this is for the Victron batteries only and as there are different Lithium battery tyes and performances on the market, is there anybody who can tell me the minimum kWh of new Pytes V5 batteries (100A charge regular / peak charge 150A at 15 seconds) that are needed to cover full installed 25kW AC Power at 6x MP-II 5000?

Thank you very much!
Best regards

Johannes

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Johannes123

Not sure where you found the ratios?

With 6x 5kva the issue is more discharge support, since the PV is lower than the MP2 inverting amps.

6x 5000 is 30 000.

30 000 ÷ 48v is 625A nominal.

What is the nominal (not peak) of the battery discharge?

If it is 100A then you need 6 batteries minimum, 7 to be comfortable. Not sure what model Pylon you are referring to but that is the basic maths...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johannes123 avatar image
johannes123 answered ·

Hello Alexadra,

the Pytes V5 has same details for charge and discharge:
- 75A Standard
- 100A Maximum
- 150A for 15 seconds

The rule is written here at 3.2:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start

3. Minimum battery capacity

Besides the relation between installed PV Power and the inverter/charger VA rating, it is also important to have a sufficiently sized battery. The minimum battery capacity depends on the type of battery, lead or lithium.

Note that, besides the minimum battery capacity, the mentioned sizes are often also the most economical battery size. In case used for self-consumption purposes that is. In case the goal is to increase autonomy, of course installing a large battery increases the system autonomy in case of a grid failure.

3.2 Lithium batteries

1,5 kWp installed AC PV power requires 4.8 kWh of battery storage:

So this 1:1 rule and 1,5:4,8 rule should prevent the whole system from crashing when the net-power-supply is cutted away, as then the power from the solar inverter is directed into the batteries.

This is why I was naming the charge power.

With 25/1,5*4,8 it is about 80kWh lithium battery needed by this basic rule, but for daily use I would be fine with about 40kWh (8 Pytes V5 batteries) - 60 kWh (12 Pytes V5 batteries).

But as it is under the 1,5:4,8 rule I like to confirm whether it will be fine with less Pytes V5 batteries and their 150A peak charge than the 1,5:4,8.

Best regards
Johannes

2 |3000

johannes123 avatar image
johannes123 answered ·

Can someone tell me whether the 3rd party batteries with high charge power also need to apply the 1,5:4,8 rule?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Johannes123

No they don't. The document is based on batteries that don't allow close to 1C charge and discharge.

Base the calculation on the 75A.

So min of 8 batteries 9 to be more comfortable.

0 Likes 0 ·
julientom avatar image
julientom answered ·

Hello johannes

Can you share your conclusion for your batterie dimensionning ?

I am also thinking about 6 x 48100 pytes batteries with a 11,9 kWc of bifacial PV. I Will probably have 6kWp on a fronius primo 5 (or 6) kw in AC in on a MultiplusII 5 kVA and the other 6kWc on a mppt 450 - 100.

I also wanted to Check if this rule still apply in a mixed ESS system with half the power on AC in…

I don’t understand the reason of this 1.5 ratio recommandation

Thanks for your feed-back !

Regards

Julien

2 |3000