question

Elimac avatar image
Elimac asked

Washing machine advice to use with Victron

Well, my 13 year old washing machine (clothes) has bitten the dust. I have used for nearly 5 years with my offgrid setup with no problems. Machine is samsung VF7700 and my Victron setup is composed of 2x 3000/70/24 Multiplus (gen 1) in parallel. Could cope both with heating and motor of the washing machine.

Now, since I will buy a new machine, is there any type of modern type of washin machines I should stay away from? Are the new "inverter technology" or VFD washing machines actualy better or worse to run from offgrid solar inverters?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I have only used Bosch, Miele or Siemens. They all come out the same factory it seems, no issues on a multi.

To add, the new wifi variants can be controlled via node red.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

I’ve got a Bosch washing machine and a Samsung condenser dryer both draw from the multi registered as load which the battery covers, can’t remember what the load of the washing machine is but it’s high from memory @40 degrees it’s was high 3K or 4K which is significantly higher than the condenser dryer believe it or not

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
My new Bosch, with direct drive motor etc, pulls a maximum of around 1800W, no surges. The matching dishwasher is about the same.

The latter though pulls tons more power on a 1 hour cycle, vs 2, vs 4 hour eco. So fast cycles are run by day when there is spare PV, and longer ones at night when running off battery.

The newer the machine the more efficient it is. Was quite surprised how little both consume running simultaneously.

Staggering the start by 10 minutes avoids most overlap.

1 Like 1 ·
daza avatar image daza nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Yeah 40degress for an hour I got too much cloths to get through for longer runs and I sure as eggs not getting up at 1230 to move it to the dryer lol

0 Likes 0 ·
frankmsc68 avatar image
frankmsc68 answered ·

Hi Elimac,inverter technology means that the motor is controlled for more efficiency,it also has a soft start function avoiding heavy spikes/drawings from the inverter....Remember the old fridges,when they started the lights flackerd...So you have got a smoother running operation and longer lasting equipment.I presume the function is quite equal to the major makes...best regards frank

1 comment
2 |3000

Elimac avatar image Elimac commented ·

@frankmsc68 What do you mean by "old fridges,when they started the lights flackerd" - Are there new fridges with no inrush current when compressor starts, or without compressor? I'm not aware of those...but really interested to know! My fridge is not so old and the lights do flicker when it starts. I would like to get rid of that. Also good to extend Victron inverter life.

0 Likes 0 ·
Elimac avatar image
Elimac answered ·

Thanks everybody!

I ended up buying an LG 8kg with Direct Drive. What a difference from the previous one with classing drum! No more surges! My inverters are enjoying the new washing machine :) Only drawback is the heating element is minimum 1900W, I whish it could be lower, but that's not a dramatic either, kind of expected really. Maybe I should have switched washing machine earlier!

3 comments
2 |3000

Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·
@Elimac I have the same washing machine as you now have. To prevent the electric heater from running, or to reduce the time it runs from, I have my washing machine supplied from a thermostatically controlled water supply, set to 35*C, and my better half does all the washing at 30*C. Just a basic thermostatic mixing valve (TMV). If I remember correctly, the manufacturers instructions do allow a maximum supply temperature of 50*C, but you'll need to check that yourself for your one if you consider it as yours might be slightly different to mine.
0 Likes 0 ·
frankmsc68 avatar image frankmsc68 Jason - UK commented ·
great job,jason,that's how i've done it as well...my hot water boiler is fed by solar(summer) and a wooden termal kitchen stove(winter).I don't think i've ever used the internal heating element from the washing machine....Happy x-mas everybody! Frank
0 Likes 0 ·
frankmsc68 avatar image frankmsc68 commented ·
@Elimac ,well done Lg seems to be a solid producer....I've got solar pannels and fridge from Lg,very happy....Frank
0 Likes 0 ·
frankmsc68 avatar image
frankmsc68 answered ·

@Elimac ,hi there,compressors like motors etc used to have the habit,when they started to draw several times more than their rated wattage.For example,a rated 1kw compressor of a fridge can draw-for a few miliseconds- up to 3kw and perhaps more(to the and of their life).That's why the "soft start circus" was born-to avoid those spikes.You find them often on audio amplifiers to reduce the stress on the transformers...Now with the new area of smart inverter technology the whole running of compressors,pumps etc. is entirely controlled by the electronics taking several aspects in concideration.Therefore a longer lifetime guarantee,usually 10 years can be approached.....

So if you have still got an old fridge in the cellar,running and other high wattage equipment at the same time running towards the max. power your inverter is rated you might see a little flickering at lightbulbs,meaning your inverter is reducing power to save itself from an overload....That's it:to avoid is(like anyone should do)reduce heavy consumption,choosing low wattage household equipment ,choose newer equipment ie. with those new inverter(soft start) technology.Most valid inverters have already a soft start circuit on board to protect the bus parts like condensators and igbt's/sicfets.

Frank

2 |3000

frankmsc68 avatar image
frankmsc68 answered ·

@Elimac ,hi there,if you are interested in a secure soft start circuit,which actually works,i can give you the schematics and formula's to "easily" build your own...You need to know though what you're doing.This soft start circuit is made from a handful diods,an op amp several resistors and a few heavy ballast resistore and a couple of relays.I can walk you through this,than the relays have to be choosen wisely!If the relays don't open,the ballast resisters will(!) overheat with rather catastrophic results(if not placed in a bunker)....Delay time is usually 100 miliseconds -sufficient for about 5 full cycles at 50Hz and it is quite allright to run 200% of full load at start up.Inrush currents can be in exess of 50Ah(!) which is not so uncommon.....Frank

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
It would be nice if you post the details in the modifications space, thanks
1 Like 1 ·