question

colt1893 avatar image
colt1893 asked

Crimped squared wire lug connector

Hello. I am looking to install both victron energy MPPT 100-20 charge controller and isolated DC-DC charger. I want to crimp the square compatible lugs to the end of the wire to connect to the controllers. The connections on these are two different sizes. Does anyone know the correct size for both of these connectors/adapters and possibly where to purchase online (amazon?)?

Thanks

Colt

connection issue
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

colt1893 avatar image colt1893 commented ·
Based on this feedback on the matter, I think I am going to go without the Ferrules. Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@colt1893

The lugs size will be related to the cable size.

For example cable size 16mm lug size 16mm x (hole size of where you attach)

If you are talking about the rising clamps in the battery connection of the mppt and DC to DC, you do not need anything on them, they are designed to crimp directly on the stripped cable. Otherwise Google boot lace ferrules (I don't agree with using them) related to the cable size of choice.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Al avatar image Al commented ·

@Alexandra "...boot lace ferrules (I don't agree with using them) related to the cable size of choice..."

There's some good background (new to me anyway) from ISO 13297 in the new UK IET’s "On-Board Guide: Electrical Safety for Small Craft" with a brief summary on when and when not to use ferrules:

https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/years/2023/98-november-2023/boat-wiring-why-bs-7671-doesn-t-address-all-the-issues/

1 Like 1 ·

Thank you for the information/response.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark Harrison avatar image
Mark Harrison answered ·

Looking at the spec sheet for the 100/20 the wire connections are 10AWG if you want to get a ferrule kit and crimper from Amazon. Not sure of the exact model of DC-DC but look at the technical section of the manual and the power terminals will tell you what size wire should be used. Get a ferrule kit that covers both. Like @Alexandra said it is not really necessary.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thank you for the information/response.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ colt1893 commented ·
There was a long thread not so long ago. The poster had used ferrules, but used the terminal block in the unit to crimp them instead of a proper crimper.

The incorrect crimping caused a poor connection, lots of heat and substantial damage.

Two takeaways.

If you do crimp, do it properly.

With the design of the terminals, using fine stranded wire without crimps gives a better connection than correctly fitted crimps.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic